Advice for Oatmeal/breakfast stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuelouellette

Reaction score
Hello,

I am wondering if my recipe for this oatmeal stout makes sense.

Caramel 60l 3.8%
Victory malt 3.8%
Chocolate malt 5.0%
Roasted barely 5.0%
Oats 7.5%
Maris otter 70%
Lactose 5%
Not shure for Mash temp but I think I will go for 150F, since I am adding Lactose and using Wyeast 1968. The F.G should be about 1.017 and the O.G 1.059

For hops: .5 oz Cluster for 60min
1 oz East Kent Golding for 15min

Thanks again :mug:

Sam

No suggestion or advice? I do 3 gallon and I am thinking of adding cold steeped coffee and a little bit of dark chocolate.

for breakfast you prolly want to throw some cold brewed coffee and chocolate extract in at bottling, or add some doughnuts to the mash, or both. Whatever you do, don't dry doughnut the beer; I had a helluva hard time getting that mess out of my carboy last time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!Is it possible that the fat in the doughnuts be in the mash/fermenter? I'll add the Cocoa nibs and the cold brewed coffee in last 15 min of the boil.

Thanks again :mug:

There's a post or two on here re technique. IIRC, if you fly sparge the oils stay up top and don't make it down past the grain bed into the runnings.

I did something I called a "Dirty Scotsman" mostly because of the yeast (and my heritage). It's a spin on the oatmeal/breakfast stout idea (no coffee in it, but I was tempted...) This is for a 2.5 gallon batch.

5 lb American - Pale Ale 74.8%
5 oz German - Chocolate Wheat 4.7%
4 oz United Kingdom - Roasted Barley 3.7%
10 oz Flaked Oats 9.3%
8 oz Maple-Bacon Syrup 7.5%

0.75 oz Northern Brewer Pellet @ 60 min 35.74 IBU

Mashed @ 152

Pitched 1 vial of White Labs Edinburgh Scottish Ale Yeast WLP028
Fermentation Temp: 68

This is a pretty strong brew at around 6.5% but I think mine attenuated a bit more than what was expected. Tastes great, but it has a slight heat to it so I think it needs to mellow for a spell. It's been around about a month since I bottled, so I'm thinking I'm ready to pop another one.

There's a post or two on here re technique. IIRC, if you fly sparge the oils stay up top and don't make it down past the grain bed into the runnings.

Ohhh interesting! Too bad I used BIAB, but good to know in the future.

I did something I called a "Dirty Scotsman" mostly because of the yeast (and my heritage). It's a spin on the oatmeal/breakfast stout idea (no coffee in it, but I was tempted...) This is for a 2.5 gallon batch.

5 lb American - Pale Ale 74.8%
5 oz German - Chocolate Wheat 4.7%
4 oz United Kingdom - Roasted Barley 3.7%
10 oz Flaked Oats 9.3%
8 oz Maple-Bacon Syrup 7.5%

0.75 oz Northern Brewer Pellet @ 60 min 35.74 IBU

Mashed @ 152

Pitched 1 vial of White Labs Edinburgh Scottish Ale Yeast WLP028
Fermentation Temp: 68

This is a pretty strong brew at around 6.5% but I think mine attenuated a bit more than what was expected. Tastes great, but it has a slight heat to it so I think it needs to mellow for a spell. It's been around about a month since I bottled, so I'm thinking I'm ready to pop another one.

I like the maple bacon syrup idea, how's the taste? and do you think 3.7% of roast and 4.7% is plenty of dark malt/grain? I was actually thinking of upping my roast barley to 7%. Would it be too acrid?

This is my first stout, so I was worried about going too far with the roasty type grains, and I'm happy with the amount of roast flavor in this one (this came out pretty smooth). I'll open one tonight to add some comments...

Color wise... light will not penetrate it! :D

BaconStout.jpg

Ohhh interesting! Too bad I used BIAB, but good to know in the future.

If you no-sparge BIAB and leave the donuts (or what becomes of them) near the top of the bag, I bet you could get it to work without getting too much, or any, oils in the BK. The grains in the BIAB should IMO absorb the oils as you removed the Bag, leaving sweet oil-free wort behind for your boiling pleasure.

Thanks again Wolfbayte!

That recepie looks great fermentolog, but I am a little hesitant on using more chocolate malt than roast barely. I guess I really like the coffee flavor in stouts! :mug:

Back