Adding cherry puree...boil or secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMKBrew55

Reaction score
I want to make a Cherry Wheat brew. I was wondering what the difference is between adding the cherry puree during the boil or in the secondary. How long for each? What would you do?

FYI, I just switched to all grain and I will be pureeing my own cherries. Cheers!

I've done a few fruit beers and learned that adding fruit puree from a can into the boil or primary has left very very little fruit flavour in the final product. My LBS suggested adding extract which I did and but I found the flavours harsh. If I was doing a fruit beer again I would focus on a crisp wheat beer or Blond style and then add the fruit to secondary for a week.

Secondary. One of my last batches was an oatmeal stout with a can of cherry puree, I racked the beer on it in secondary and it came out great. Didn't use a ton - one can, which I think is 3#, for a five-gallon batch, and it just came through at a real nice, subtle level.

For a cherry wheat, where you want a more prominent flavor, absolutely add to the secondary.

I saw another thread where it was advised to cold crash for a while and leave as much yeast as possible behind so the fruit doesn't completely ferment out. Sounds like great advice to me either way secondary for sure.

Latest posts

Back