Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 20 lb of sugar and a jar of yeast nutrient

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2010, 05:06 AM   #131
Hermit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
How do you use your pressure cooker. I'm always looking for a way to use mine.
Sugar, water, acid. Put in and bring to temp. At 15 lbs pressure you will have a very lightly colored syrup. This just negates needing to check the temperature. I start all of my syrups this way. The one I didn't turned into a crystalized mess at one point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #132
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Sugar, water, acid. Put in and bring to temp. At 15 lbs pressure you will have a very lightly colored syrup. This just negates needing to check the temperature. I start all of my syrups this way. The one I didn't turned into a crystalized mess at one point.
So when it starts hissing you turn it off?

Old 11-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #133
Hermit
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
So when it starts hissing you turn it off?
Yep. You just have to reach the temperature. I also use this to invert my sugar for priming. No 'proof' that it goes quicker, but it sure seems to carbonate faster if I do this, plus, it really isn't extra work with a pressure cooker doing the temperature control. I use as little as 1/4 teaspoon of DAP or Vitamin C powder for this. Could probably go less. Just don't use too much water or you probably won't drop the ph low enough.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:57 PM   #134
Drinks3point2
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just wanted to bump this one back on the radar. I just made my first batch of Dark Amber and probably wouldn't have done it without the help of this thread.

Thanks to all for the info on this one. Can't wait to make my Belgian on Monday!!!

Old 12-05-2010, 06:41 AM   #135
elucify
Recipes 

Today the brew shop was out of dark candi. I picked up a bottle of citric acid because I'd heard of using that to make it. I also got a bottle of yeast nutrient because, well I don't know why.

Then after reading this thread, and learning about the difference between caramelization and melanoid production, I used the yeast nutrient instead of the citric acid, and the syrup came out great.

So thanks to everybody for their advice. I can make that dubbel now, after all. Oh, and it cost me maybe <$1, instead of $6.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:22 AM   #136
tdjb
Recipes 

I hate to admit this because this seems like such a simple process, but I've failed 3 times at making this stuff (doing 1lbs batches). Has anyone else had issues with the sugar basically becoming a solid or chunking on them?

I'm trying for the 290 degree one using just everyday cane sugar my wife had. Boiling it up to 290 goes well but when I add in the water once it hits 290 everything goes to crap. The 1st time I just plain screwed up but the 2nd time I thought all went well until I woke up the next day to a brick of caramel colored sugar. The third batch I tried tonight ended up having chunks of sugar in it when I went to take it off the stove after heating it back up to 240.

Any ideas on what's going wrong here?

Old 12-31-2010, 05:43 AM   #137
Hermit
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdjb View Post
I hate to admit this because this seems like such a simple process, but I've failed 3 times at making this stuff (doing 1lbs batches). Has anyone else had issues with the sugar basically becoming a solid or chunking on them?

I'm trying for the 290 degree one using just everyday cane sugar my wife had. Boiling it up to 290 goes well but when I add in the water once it hits 290 everything goes to crap. The 1st time I just plain screwed up but the 2nd time I thought all went well until I woke up the next day to a brick of caramel colored sugar. The third batch I tried tonight ended up having chunks of sugar in it when I went to take it off the stove after heating it back up to 240.

Any ideas on what's going wrong here?
This only happened to me one time when I didn't invert the sugar in the pressure cooker first. It was a mess but I finally got it to work. Made up my mind to always do the inversion first. Haven't made any since though to confirm that this is why it happened.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:20 AM   #138
Drinks3point2
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

In the beginning stages of this thread Snickasaurusrex mentions that this stuff doesn't have much of a shelf life. From what I remember, he was referring to making the candy and using it right away. Others mentioned not doing the last step of bring it back up to temp and having better results as far as shelf life goes. When I made my batch of Amber, I put it in a mason jar for a week and a half before I got around to using it. It was a real SOB to remove from the jar. I think if I was to do it again, I would pour it out on some wax paper and after it sets up crack it into pieces and store it in a ziplock bag or just use it right away.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:26 AM   #139
orangehero
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 202

To keep it liquid try doing the double cooked method or going more slowly to get up to terminal temperature.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #140
Trubadour
Recipes 

Thanks Snick. I've used this twice now, and couldn't be happier about the results. Made dark amber for a dubbel and light amber for a barleywine this morning.

My Keezer

Quick Reply