Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 20 lb of sugar and a jar of yeast nutrient

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
SnickASaurusRex
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 8 Posts

Default 20 lb of sugar and a jar of yeast nutrient (Candi Syrup)

So do I really have to use brewers yeast or will my moms sourdough junk work?

No really...

I just blew through 20 lbs of sugar and a jar of DAP yeast nutrient trying to perfect my caramelized "Candi Syrup" recipe. and this is what I came up with.

The basic ideas for the recipe are from “Radical Brewing” –Randy Mosher, and from “Brew Like a Monk” –Stan Hieronymus. I spent some time working on a procedure that seems to work really well. The procedures came from various books on candy making and internet resources. Both recipes are temperature sensitive and absolutely dependent on the use of a candy or deep fry thermometer. Do not turn the temperature up past medium. This will result in bitterness and a burnt flavor.

These recipes make ~1 quart.

Sugar #4
This is a simple caramel that can be made into syrups with different colors and flavor characteristics. I made and took notes on six different terminal temperatures from 250F – 300F.

The procedure for making the syrups starts with 2 lbs of sugar, a varied amount of Di-Ammonium Phosphate (DAP Yeast Nutrient), and 1 cup of water. You bring these three ingredients to a boil over medium heat. You do not want to stir, the gentle convections will do all the mixing that is necessary. Using a thermometer, stop the boil at the desired terminal temperature by adding a varied amount of water while gently stirring the solution. This is the dangerous part, a fair amount of spitting and sputtering might occur. After adding the water you will need to dissolve the syrup by stirring gently until the solution reaches the stage called soft ball (240F). This is when the syrup is done. Stop the cooking by submerging the pan in cool water or by transferring the syrup to a preheated mason jar.

Rose (250F)
-Clear, slightly rosy color. This syrup is sweet and sugary with very little to no character flavors.
2 Lbs Sugar
1 Cup Water
1/2 tsp DAP
1/2 Cup Water

Light (260F)
-Apricot colored with mild flavors reminiscent of peaches and white grape juice. Some very mild warm flavors like soft rounded vanilla.
2 Lbs Sugar
1 Cup Water
1 tsp DAP
3/4 Cup Water

Light Amber (270F)
-Apricot to light amber in color with some red tones developing. Mild caramel flavors with some soft sweet fruit characters developing. Mellow flat vanilla flavor with some warm cardamom tones. Maybe plums and dried apricots in the distant background.
2 Lbs Sugar
1 Cup Water
1 – 1/2 tsp DAP
1 Cup Water

Medium Amber (280F)
-Amber colored. Strong caramels and intensifying cardamom and plum flavors. Some roasted flavor developing but not bitter.
2 Lbs Sugar
1 Cup Water
2 tsp DAP
1 – 1/4 Cup Water

Deep Amber (290F)
-Deep amber with full red colors. Raisins and plums are the dominant flavors with a hint of toast and coffee. Some rummy and mildly woody flavors. Strong complex caramels are present. It is a sophisticated sweetness with a robust, full characteristic. This is my favorite.
2 Lbs Sugar
1 Cup Water
2 – 1/2 tsp DAP
1 – 1/2 Cup Water

Mahogany (300F)
-Mahogany, more brown than red in color. Raisins and figs with some mild bitterness developing. There is a tart sweetness, and a loss of complex caramel flavors. The caramels are replaced by bittersweet toast and burnt sugar characters. It is rich and decadent but not as complex as 290F.
2 Lbs Sugar
1 Cup Water
3 tsp DAP
1 – 3/4 Cup Water

Sugar #5

This is a double cooked sugar that further increases the flavors of 290F without compromising the complex caramels. Think of this sugar as an extension of the 290F recipe. Everything about it is intensified. The procedure is a bit more complicated and it takes nearly an hour to complete, but it is worth the time and effort.
Over medium heat bring to a boil
2 Lbs Sugar
1 Cup Water
3 tsp DAP

Raise this to the terminal temperature of 290F. At 290F begin stirring and add in:
1 Cup Water
Continue stirring until the sugars are dissolved. Again, bring the solution up to 290F over medium heat. At 290F begin stirring and add in:
1 Cup of Water
Stir this until the sugars are dissolved and the temperature starts to rise a couple degrees. This Should be right at or just above soft ball (240F). This is when the syrup is done. Stop the cooking by submerging the pan in cool water or by transferring the syrup to a preheated mason jar.

Happy sugar making and good brewing.

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Very cool, I'm saving these formulas and hope they add another layer to some belgian ales.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
SnickASaurusRex
Recipes 

I forgot to add that these recipes are not shelf stable. They may begin to crystallize after several days. You could look at this two ways. The crystallization will only help to concentrate the flavors into the liquid portion of the syrup and just be happy with that...

Or, you could and a 1/4 cup corn syrup to the base recipe to add a matrix blocking sugar to the mix. This will add shelf stability to the product, but I don't like doing that. It might be a useful trick if you want to keep the syrup around for other things, like ice cream drizzle or coffee/tea sweetener etc.. But for brewing just chuck the syrup and crystals into the kettle and all is solved.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
Aspera
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thanks for the info.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:18 AM   #5
SnickASaurusRex
Recipes 

James Spencer from basic brewing just interviewed me about these. I'm excited. I never did ask when the air date will be, but it was a great interview.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:10 AM   #6
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Interesting read SnickASaurus, thanks, maybe you could help me, why DAP, I followed your guidelines earlier tonight, but all I had was some acid (cream of tartar). I was making invert syrup and noticed your write up. What does the DAP do??

Old 05-05-2009, 12:36 AM   #7
SnickASaurusRex
Recipes 

DAP provides Nitrogen for mailard reactions (non enzymatic browning) to occur. These occur between ~270F and ~320F. Another source of nitrogen is ammonium bicarbonate. It is a leaven used by professional bakers.

As DAP breaks down around ~270F it separates into two molecules of ammonium and dehydrate-phosphoric acid. So it provides both the nitrogen for browning and the acid for inversion.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
Aspera
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

He's basically making homemade brewer's caramel, which is a coloring agent made from dextrose and ammonia. While common in Britain, I haven't been able to find it over here and will definitely be following some of these recipes.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #9
JKelleyLBI
Recipes 

Fantastic stuff, I've been eyeballing a stout recipe that calls for candi syrup and I've not been able to locate any. Thank you for posting this, I will definitely be putting it to use.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Well, I'll report back that I made up a batch last night, probably came out b/w medium and deep amber. Thinking of using this in a batch of ale using domestic two row base grain.

What can I expect a pound of "converted" cane sugar syrup to do to a 5 gal batch?? Will the effect be similiar to crystal or "caramel" malt?

Now that I made this stuff, just not sure what to do with it?

ps, smells and tastes nice, reminds me of toasted marshmellows.

Quick Reply