028 Edinburgh Ale Yeast suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glibbidy

Reaction score
I typically use the WLP 028 Edinburgh Ale Yeast for my strong Scottish Ale. Any suggestions for a smaller beer to make using this yeast? I was thinking English style IPA or an ESB.

Do a 70 shilling ale! or a 60 shilling. Maybe an ordinary or special bitter with a gist like: 80% MO, 10% Crystal 55, 10% unrefined cane sugar (demura), to make the yeast shine through.

Hehe....Yes. I suggest that you use Wyeast 1728. WPL makes many fine products, and I didn't have good experiences with this one.

Thanks for the insight Freezeblade & idea for the grist.:)

My plan is to use the 028 for a small beer, and then pitch my Strong Scottish ale on the cake. I have trouble keeping my basement temps above 58f this time of year, and am looking to use yeast volume to make up for lack of ideal fermentation temps for this specific strain.

I like the idea of a special bitter. Relatively low gravity, easy drinker. I don't know if I have enough demura for 10% of the grist. I'm going to shoot for a SG of 1.044-1.048.

I think a bitter would be ideal, but also think about an amber or pale ale. WLP028 has been used as a house strain by few pros, so I wouldn't be too shy about throwing it in anything that might come roughly from the direction of the UK.

I ended up brewing an ESB and added 4.5% Demura to the recipe. Just racked it to secondary and it is tasting spot on for the style. I also brewed up the strong scottish alle and pitched it on the cake too! This is quickly becoming one of my favorite yeasts.

ESB Recipe? I have some 028 sitting around washed from a strong Scottish!

And Fuggles...I haz fuggles!

RC0032, try this one on for size.
Demura 4.50%
Crystal malt 5.00%
MO 2-Row 90.50%

Hops
kettle Hop Fuggles- 20 IBU's
middle addition hop East KG- 20 IBU's
single infusion mash at 153F
target gravity 1.050 Yeah i know it might be on the high side.

Back