Would this burner work for AG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
I saw a gas wok fryer on sale at my local Meijer for $29.99. Unfortunately, I can't find the information on line, nor could I see anywhere where other forum users have purchased this product.

I got a picture, though. I'm hoping I can get some advice about whether or not I should purchase this. For the record, I have a six gallon aluminum stock pot, so I will not be doing more than 5 gallon batches. I just need to know if this will have power to heat up that much liquid. I also, of course, need to make sure my stock pot will fit, but I can do that on my own time.

Thank you in advance.

wok.jpg

Almost any burner will work, the only real variables are how quick they are, and how much propane they use.

I'm getting by with a cheesy one like this right now, but it's slow and I'm unhappy with it.

My Bayou SQ14 is in the mail...

A 72,000 BTU/hr burner that is a great blend of heating power and efficiency - and does so whisper quietly! In addition, low flame combustion is clean, wind performance is outstanding, and the heavy stainless construction is built to last a lifetime! For operation on natural gas expect 15% less power and 15% longer heating times due to the lower BTU contelt of natural gas vs. propane.

We also documented that the published BTU of competitive burners varied wildly from actual measured results. And measuring the performance is straightforward: simply run the burner for an hour at full power and measure the weight of the propane used in lb. Then multiply the weight in lb X 21,000 to get the burner rating in BTU/hr. For example. the Bayou Classic has a published rating of 180 KBTU/hr but only measured at 68 KBTU/hr!

From Blichmann's site....Something to keep in mind when burner shopping...it's not always how many BTU's the burner is...

But the burner you picture I guess would work...but it's gonna take a while to boil....depending on volume.

I guess I can always take it home and see how it takes 5 gallons of boiling water. If it sucks, take it back and get something better.

I am legitimately sick and tired of my slow, crappy stove so anything is an upgrade. Plus it'll get SWMBO off my back for spilling wort all over the kitchen.

Back