Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Who needs welding?? This is easier!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008, 10:42 PM   #11
Squeeky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Stay Brite #8

There are a group of brewered on the Green board that use Stay-Brite #8 silver solder and stay-clean flux with amazing results soldering copper to stainless. I'm actually looking at using this myself as well. Solder gives you the ability to make mistakes and remove in the future if you need too. I'd be interested in following this thread as well.

Thanks
Squeeky

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2008, 12:11 AM   #12
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 932 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I've never tried soldering anything but copper but it sounds promising for those who can't find a reasonable welder.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-07-2008, 01:10 AM   #13
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What was used for a torch?

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:50 AM   #14
Ewalk02
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I apparently cant attach images but I'll work on getting a website up to show off the joints.

To clear things up a bit the solder doesn't actually provide any "support" for these things, it just makes everything water tight. I start out by drilling a hole just large enough that I can screw my "joints" into the keg then I crank the things down so that they are basically stuck there. The only reason that I'm using solder is so wort doesn't seep through. I have soldered both brass fittings and stainless fittings onto my keggle with no problem, easy as pie!

I'm using a regular torch that you would use to solder copper pipes.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:09 AM   #15
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

So you're not relying on the solder for structural strength, just sealing... I see. Do you think it COULD provide a little strength if needed, or is it really that weak? (I know regular solder is pretty flimsy). I'm thinking of the typical method used when welding a fitting in, where you take a stainless full coupling, drill a hole just big enough for the coupling to fit in (though probably not a tight press fit) and then solder it in place - do you think the solder method would likely be too weak for that, in particular?

I suppose I could just suck it up and hire a welder... But I sure do love DIY...

Old 05-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #16
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewalk02 View Post
I apparently cant attach images but I'll work on getting a website up to show off the joints.

To clear things up a bit the solder doesn't actually provide any "support" for these things, it just makes everything water tight. I start out by drilling a hole just large enough that I can screw my "joints" into the keg then I crank the things down so that they are basically stuck there. The only reason that I'm using solder is so wort doesn't seep through. I have soldered both brass fittings and stainless fittings onto my keggle with no problem, easy as pie!

I'm using a regular torch that you would use to solder copper pipes.
Sounds to me like the solder is being used as pipe dope.

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #17
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewalk02 View Post
I start out by drilling a hole just large enough that I can screw my "joints" into the keg then I crank the things down so that they are basically stuck there.
Pictures! We need pictures!!!

Exactly what pieces are you soldering to the keg? Is it a coupling, nipple, or some kind of pipe? The picture I remember seeing before was a SS coupling soldered to the keg. There wasn't any other support.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #18
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

Why dont more ppl just use weldless fittings? That is all I did...

Old 05-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #19
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 32 Posts

I did too, but I wouldn't say it was necessarily less work than what this sounds like.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:07 PM   #20
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Why dont more ppl just use weldless fittings? That is all I did...
Because if you want to get creative and go with something other than the typical type of fittings, it generally means you have to buy all the parts and throw it together rather than buying a weldless fitting kit from a place like bargain fittings. That's perfectly fine, because DIY is great, but generally speaking, finding suitable stainless steel washers and silicone O-rings USUALLY involves buying large quantities of them from a place like McMaster-carr. If you are looking to install just one fitting, spending $20-30 on a pack of 50 silicone O-rings and 5-10 stainless steel washers (when you only need 1-2 of each, which separately should have only cost a couple dollars) is really not so great. If you are planning to install a lot of fittings and can use a bunch of them, then great, but if you're only trying to install a single one, then the cost eventually approaches that of getting a fitting welded in, which is obviously a more robust solution.

Quick Reply