What shall I use to clean the bottom of my scorched kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am wondering what is a good chemical product to clean a scorched kettle completely and what are the instructions?

Thanks.

I use Bar Keepers Friend also. It's cheap and works fantastic.

What's made of? Stainless could take all manner of punishment but aluminum you should be a bit more gentle...

+1, if aluminum you need to be careful, once the inside has been seasoned you do not want to scrub it aggressively or you may begin getting a metallic taste to all your beers unless you re-season it.

Fill the kettle up to the top with water, heat it to 170, and mix in about two tablespoons of PBW. Stir well and in an hour, everything just falls off. No scrubbing required. Just hot water, PBW, and time.

Hot PBW soak for an hour or so. Maybe overnight would be good.
Then it's copper or SS scrubby and elbow grease.
Might take a good deal of scrubbing. Put on some music you like and get in a groove...

I've put Star San in burnt pans and let it sit for an hr or so, everything seems to come off real easily after that.

duboman said:
+1, if aluminum you need to be careful, once the inside has been seasoned you do not want to scrub it aggressively or you may begin getting a metallic taste to all your beers unless you re-season it.
How do you season aluminum? Santa May be bringing me a turkey fryer kit...

I had a scortched SS kettle and had scrubbed it with everything; oxy, pbw, barkeepers. Nothing worked. Boiled vinegar in it for a few minutes and it wiped clean.

Get a $3 stainless steel wire brush that fits into your drill. It will be polished in seconds.

Sprinkle baking soda over the scorched area then drizzle vinegar on that, it will fizz up nicely. Give it 5 mins then scrub clean.

Oven cleaner with lye in it (If the pot is stainless) - spray it on, let it set overnight if necessary - clean it off. Read the precautions on the bottle and use personal protective equipment.

Back