Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Weldless Fittings vs. Welded Fittings for Keggles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
Stevorino
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Weldless Fittings vs. Welded Fittings for Keggles

I'm aiming to purchase the final parts of my AG system today online--all I need now are the fittings for my keggle. I've been thinking about just getting weldless fittings for a while now...but the owner of my LHBS suggested that I get the top of my keggle chopped off by a welder w/ plasma cutters-- which made me wonder how much it'd cost to get fittings welded on too.

Anyone know how much welding services would be? Are welded fittings advantageous over weldless fittings?

Thanks again everyone!

-Stevorino-_________________________________________
In Keezer:
1. BCS - Wet Hopped West Coast Blaster
2. CYBI - Gordon's IPA Clone
3. BCS - Scottish -80
4. BCS - Specialty Saison (Gold Medal at BMO)
In Process:
1. BCS - Janet's Brown Ale (Fermenting)

gwood Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I am very happy with my stainless weldless fittings. Obviously, the welded fittings would be more permanent and more robust, but... I like how I don't have to worry about rusting pitting, leaks, getting a crappy looking weld,.... the list of my worries goes on. Plus I like how once a year I can undo my assembly, thoroughly clean and sanitize everything and reassemble with new seals etc.

I don't think the cost is really to big a factor, I think I have seen welding been quoted here at around ~$20 a fitting. But that could be wrong.

I am sure that others are big supporters of welded fittings and I am sure they would be correct as well. As with almost all homebrew decisions it comes down to your preferences and what you think will look best. Both fitting styles will make awesome beer.

Cheers to ambiguous non-conclusive answers!

Old 02-24-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The only thing that can be a PITA with weldless fittings is getting them not to leak, but patience and Teflon tape will help out with that.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
joejaz

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I used the weldless fittings. Drilled hole and installed in less then 5 minutes. As for cutting the top, check out Bobby M's video. I cut two, one with roto zip grinder attachment and one with dremel cutting discs. Just take your time and you'll save enough to buy the weldless thermometer for $40.

Joe

"Life is too short to drink cheap beer."

Old 02-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
Stout Man
Recipes 

I actually bought 2 weldess fittings at first. Just enough to have one attachment on the HLT and MT. Each one was $14 online as that was the only place I could find the couplings and o-rings, etc. I was lucky enough to meet up with a friend who has been a welder for some time, welds for one of his jobs, and has a mig welder at his house. I was also able to find more ss couplings for $1.89 a piece at an agriculture store. Now I can have a lot more attachments on the keg for a lot cheaper. After borrowing an argon tank, getting the 8 couplings together, and dragging everything to my friends house he welded everything. It is much more solid and my nerves are at ease about the whole setup being much more solid, leak proof, and not having to worry about any washers or o-rings. I only had to fork out $19 for 2lbs of stainless wire for the welding.

The whole preparation of cutting the holes took forever for me, even with the vast array of drills and conduit punches available.

Now I have room for sight glasses, thermometers, and ball valves on all my kegs.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 on the weldless fittings here. No problems at all. The problems, I've heard is when you remove them for some dumbass reason and then you need to get a new high-temp washer to reinstall it.

And get yourself an angle grinder to cut the top off. Probably wouldn't cost any more than paying some dude to cut the top off, and you'll have a new toy to play with.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett
BrewHobby1 Likes This 
Old 12-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
WorryWort
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I realize this is a WAY old thread....but +1 on the angle grinder. I rented one from home depot for $17/day and bought a few metal cutting discs (one per keg.) for $4 each. I cut and sanded it with that, and its perfect, and cheap. I suck with DIY projects in general and this was easy. My first cut wasnt' a perfect circle, but it doesn't look terrible.

If you have time, money and patience then getting some pro to use a plasma cutter is surely a great option...

In Kegs - Barley Wine, Apfelwein, Wild BlackBerry Wheat, Coffee Oatmeal Porter

Gone - so many :(

Old 12-09-2008, 11:46 PM   #8
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

An angle grinder is an awesome tool. It cuts like butta.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:05 AM   #9
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I prefer weldless, but just because I wanted to do the whole keggle thing myself. It's probably the same amount of money to get either (welded + fitting) or just weldless fitting. I've not had a problem with any of my weldless fittings leaking on me...not even when bumped or when cranking on the valve. It would be nice to have the comfort knowing the fittings would NEVER leak, but even if they do it would just be a drip here and there.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 12-10-2008, 12:20 AM   #10
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Let me see if my friend's plasma cutter is working and I will let you know... Used his old one for mine...

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Quick Reply