Venting in covered patio?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natmartin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We are in the middle of converting part of our detached garage into a covered open patio; Two walls and the roof will remain, but two walls will be completely open.

Of course I am planning on building a brewing setup there! We're going to have NG, electrical, water, drain out there, so it will be perfect!

I'm lucky with my local climate that I will be able to brew year-around out there, even though two walls are permanently open.

My question has to do with venting for the burners and steam: Since I will be brewing under a roof, will I need any sort of venting to protect the roof structure from captured steam, and to prevent CO/CO2 buildup, even though the structure is open on two sides?

I will likely have a gas grill under the roof of the patio as well, so I'll probably be installing a hood over that to collect smoke. However, it might not be located close to the brewing setup, so I don't know if the same hood can be used for both purposes. I'd rather not buy two hood vents if I didn't have to.

Thanks for any advice, I'll be sure to post pictures as I put together the setup!

I don't think you need to do anything. I brew in my garage and have had no problems with condensation accumulating on the ceiling (or open garage door) from the boil.

Maybe just a fan to circulate the air to keep any condensation from collecting on the ceiling. Or if you brew next to one of the open walls that should be enough.

I don't think you need to do anything. I brew in my garage and have had no problems with condensation accumulating on the ceiling (or open garage door) from the boil.

I don't get condensation on the painted ceiling, but there is an alumnum trough that runs along the edge of the patio that does collect and drip. I guess it depends on the material.

I brew in my garage with the main door open and the back (standard 30" door) open for airflow. No problems at all. IF you're going to be doing a nice painted finish on the ceiling though, you MIGHT consider a hood or at least a vent fan somewhere above the brewing area...though I do not need that. I'm in Santa Barbara FWIW. A bit warmer, but similar coastal climate as you.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I'm pretty confident that, with the large openings, I'll be fine. Maybe I'll put in a roof vent to pull out excess condensation.

The whole thing is still a few months away from completion... the contractors should be knocking down the walls today.

I can't wait to get back to brewing, and I'm looking forward to showing off the setup.

Latest posts

Back