Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > using a wort chiller to heat water????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
WVBeerBaron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default using a wort chiller to heat water????

I am brewing on the kitcken stove, which takes a while to heat up large volumes of water. I wonder if i could put the water on the stove to heat but also throw my wort chiller in the pot and run the hottest tap water i can muster through it at the same time in order to speed the process up? Anyone tried this? Any thoughts?

Eventually the real answer is to get a propane burner and move outside.

KEGGED: Nut Brown, Smoked Porter, Blue Moon Clone 1, Blue Moon Clone 2, Something Red Amber Clone
CONTEMPLATING: Flanders Red, English IPA, Sack Mead

The elusive Beer Baron continues to thumb his nose at the authorities. Swaggering about in a garish new hat, he seemed to say "Look at me, Rex Banner! I have a new hat!" - The Simpsons

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 8

IME the best way to supplement heating large volumes on the stove is with a heatstick.

Hot tap water just isn't really hot enough to heat through a coil IMO.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I think you would be wasting money on hot water. When I used the kitchen stove I would use a pot big enough to span 2 burners and that worked pretty well. However one tiny boil over and the work involved cleaning it sent me outside with propane burner.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You'd be better off splitting the required water between 4 pots, even if they're smaller then combine in the larger pot as they come up to temp. That would get all 4 burners in on the action which are typically 10-12kbtu each.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 299 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Just start off with water straight out of the hot water tap. It should be around 120F.

One thing I've done that has really help to reduce the amount of time it take to bring a pot to boil is to place the pot on two burners.

I bought an 8 gallon pot so I could do 6 gallon boils. At first I was depressed that I couldn't get it to sit on the large burner by itself. But when I spanned it over the large and small burners, I cut the amount of time it took to get to a boil down dramatically. Now I can do 6 gallon boils and bring the water up to a boil in about half the time it used to take me to do a 3.5 gallon boil with the smaller pot on only one burner.

On deck: Apple Honey Ale, Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Malt Liquor, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

+1 on the heatstick. Very easy to construct and to date I have had not issues electrically with it (3 brews).

My 8 gal pot doesn't quite straddle the large and small burners completely, so I don't use that technique lest I drop something on the exposed part or accidentally lean on it with my shirt

Old 08-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #7
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yaeh this won't work. Once your pot of water hits tap water temperature, your wort 'heater' will actually be fighting the stove since the tap water is going to stay 120F (or so) which will cool the pot if its 130F.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 08-14-2009, 10:45 PM   #8
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 299 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlyn1 View Post
+1 on the heatstick. Very easy to construct and to date I have had not issues electrically with it (3 brews).

My 8 gal pot doesn't quite straddle the large and small burners completely, so I don't use that technique lest I drop something on the exposed part or accidentally lean on it with my shirt
Yeah, mine doesn't either. And that is an important safety tip. But I brew shirtless anyway.

On deck: Apple Honey Ale, Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Malt Liquor, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:34 AM   #9
Dinklefwat
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernik View Post
Just start off with water straight out of the hot water tap. It should be around 120F.
I wouldn't recommend using hot water to do any cooking or brewing, unless you're pretty sure the inside of your hot water heater is clean. When I've looked in mine, there's often all kinds of crud and gunk in there.

I'd go with the 1-pot-on-2-burner solution, or start heating up water on multiple burners...

Old 08-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've always brewed with hot tap water. Out of three different houses I've lived in I've never detected any flavor problems attributed to hot tap water. Granted, I let the water run for a bit because I'm in an old house and sometimes the water is funky at first.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Quick Reply