two cheapy ebay conicals vs one blichmann

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
to be honest, I am not sure I am going to get either, as I am interested at the moment in pursuing sanke fermenting. That said, I have considered both of these options. The cheapy stainless ebay conicals would be under 600$. I could do one 5 gallon batch, a 10 split between two, fun experiments using different yeasts, ferm temps, etc

On the other hand, a 14.5 Blichmann is way cool, appears to be better built and would be less of a hassle to store. Downside is that I am not up to 10 gallon batches yet (although I have capacity) and don't know if the extra headspace would be an issue.

Thoughts?

I would get two 5 gallon ones, but that is just me. Gives you a lot more options

I would definetly go w/ the 14.5 gallon. I do 10 gallon batches now it I would love to ferment in one vessel. Plus the blichman can be pressurized for transfers.

I would definetly go w/ the 14.5 gallon. I do 10 gallon batches now it I would love to ferment in one vessel. Plus the blichman can be pressurized for transfers.

+1

On any purchase this large i've ever tried to save that much money on; I've been super disappointed and ended up buying the one I really wanted at a later date, wasting all that money.

To answer your question though, the extra headspace will not be a problem because the CO2 from fermentation will fill it up quickly.

The plan to test different yeasts and all that is a good one, but in my case it wore off after a few batches and having to clean two fermenters for every batch is starting to become a PITA

Back