HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Ten minute cooler mash tun conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
WildOnions
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

what diameter tubing did you use to fit the drain hole without it leaking? TIA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
LuiInIdaho

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 23

If you need a valve to go with flow control, you can always do something like this.

I like the simplicity of your system. Papazian would be proud!

Old 08-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
wilserbrewer
Vendor
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 329 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOnions View Post
what diameter tubing did you use to fit the drain hole without it leaking? TIA
Sorry but I don't recall. Basicly the tubing needs to be oversized by 1/16" - 1/8" larger than the cooler bulkkhead so it is a tight fit...slicing the tubing lengthwise at an angle for 3-4 inches and compressing the end will help to squeeze it and pull it through the bulkhead, then trim square.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 08-10-2012, 03:49 AM   #14
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Nice! This is almost exactly what I do, so I have no dedicated mash tun -- it's simply the family cooler (actually, 4 different ones over time... they all seem to have the same size outlet hole). If your LHBS has those cheap little $3 inline valves, they're worth every penny.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
GrogNerd

Recipes 

Liked 722 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 94

thinking about stealing this idea for the mash tun cooler Santa will be bringing me

it occurred to me that instead of having to buy additional vinyl tubing for draining, would it be possible to just use the tubing that was originally INSIDE the braid?

and do you recall what diameter supply hose you used? I'm figuring a ¾" hose would fit through the spigot hole, however, would ¾" be too wide for the braided part?

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

drinking: Sweetpea's Mock Maibock, DB 8 Point IPA Clone, Witless Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Czech Pilsner, CLB's Red Barleywine, 8 Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine - bulk conditioning: barleywine - primary: session IPA

Old 12-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #16
swackattack
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Id be worried about the grain crushing the tubing. Check out silibraid silicon

Old 12-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #17
GrogNerd

Recipes 

this braided hose is 24", which is the width of the cooler. the vinyl hose separated from the braid would only be used to go through and out the spigot, so only minimal amount would actually be covered in grain.

much less than the 3rd picture in the OP

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

drinking: Sweetpea's Mock Maibock, DB 8 Point IPA Clone, Witless Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Czech Pilsner, CLB's Red Barleywine, 8 Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine - bulk conditioning: barleywine - primary: session IPA

Old 12-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #18
wilserbrewer
Vendor
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 329 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
this braided hose is 24", which is the width of the cooler. the vinyl hose separated from the braid would only be used to go through and out the spigot, so only minimal amount would actually be covered in grain.

much less than the 3rd picture in the OP
While I like the idea of reusing the hose from within the braided water heater line, I don't think it will work. The tubing pulled through the bulkhead needs to be slightly larger, say 1/16 to 1/8 larger OD than the bulkhead or spigot dimension in order to seal. That tube will also be a bit short IMHO. A decent hardware store should have what you need at lime 30 cents a foot.

Never had grain crush a braid or a hose FWIW.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 12-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #19
GrogNerd

Recipes 

through the spigot, hole is ½". is the Coleman 70-quart Extreme at Wally World, and I just measured that today at the store

hole is ¾" with spigot removed

you know? I'll try it, it doesn't work, I can always buy some tubing. it really only needs to last for 1, maybe 2 batches before I swap it out for ball valve.

thanks for the info, guys

(& Hail! To the REDSKINS!)

Old 05-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #20
RadtasticRix
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I am assessing options for converting a rectangular cooler and noticed that people always make a copper or PCPV manifold, or use braided hose. Why does nobody use plastic hose (like that used for syphoning or serving lines) and just make small slits or holes in it?? it seems to me that it would be cheap, easy, and with a long hose you could cover a large area. I'm guessing there is a reason though.. Thanks for any input

Quick Reply