Temp controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chupidacabra

Reaction score
Looking for a controller to regulate temps on a freezer for fermenting and maybe for a keezer here in the future.

What's the cheapest decent working one? And where is a good place to get it? Any discounts floating around?

Get the Ranco temp controller...works great. Usually less than a $100.00 from a LHBS but if you are patient you can get one cheaper from eBay. I got mine from eBay for less than $40.00, only had to supply the power cord and had one of those hanging around. Setup was easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are the least bit handy, this is the cheapest option, the STC-1000:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KVCPH2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Upside, unlike some of the other suggestions, is that it is dual controller. There are a few very good build threads here. For example:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/
Cheapest route to a digital temp controller.
Easy to build.
Can be adapted, scaled and configured to fit your exact needs in space, plug, head unit locations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just built an stc-1000 controller. Super easy, works great. I used a power cable I already owned, so total cost was about $35.

beaksnbeer said:
^^^ I have set up 8 chest/upright freezers with the STC-1000 cheap, easy, Dual control.^^^ I keep 1 or 2 on hand for just in case.

Now that you guys inspired me, what are you using for the heat side? My first thought was a heat lamp for a lizard or something but that would ruin your beer with light.

I run my fans off the heat side. I have mine set to a 5 degree swing in temperature so fans (heat) come on right after the cooling cycle ends and runs again before the the cooling cycle starts.

Now that you guys inspired me, what are you using for the heat side? My first thought was a heat lamp for a lizard or something but that would ruin your beer with light.

Heat pad, from one of our bearded dragon tanks.... We no longer do under tank heating.,, so it was available and free.

Sounds promising. Anyone have experience with those "brew belts"? A friend pointed them out on Midwest. Looks like it could work pretty well on this set up.

Chupidacabra said:
Sounds promising. Anyone have experience with those "brew belts"? A friend pointed them out on Midwest. Looks like it could work pretty well on this set up.

I use a brew belt lugged in to my temp controller. I just lay it in my germ chamber/chest freezer. It is basically a hearing pad.

Hard to argue with that price. I like it

Neat idea.. though the $7 build is not really what it costs in an avarage go to big box store and buy parts at retail...($22 or so, but that gets you a light bulb :lol: )
The build as described is a safety hazard.....Please use a grounded cord, and make sure the can is bonded to the light receptacle ...lets let those stray electrons find there way to the ground via wiring, not your body)

Not sure I would use a plastic socket in the metal paint can.. but thats just me.. Id rather use a ceramic one. (under $5.00)

Plus the paint can would not fit the space I have in my ferm chamber for a heater, and Im not willing to ferment one less brew to fit a paint can heater.

For those that have the room and modify the plans a bit plus like to tinker...

That DIY heater is a smart idea.:mug:

E_Marquez said:
Neat idea.. though the $7 build is not really what it costs in an avarage go to big box store and buy parts at retail...($22 or so, but that gets you a light bulb :lol: ) The build as described is a safety hazard.....Please use a grounded cord, and make sure the can is bonded to the light receptacle ...lets let those stray electrons find there way to the ground via wiring, not your body) Not sure I would use a plastic socket in the metal paint can.. but thats just me.. Id rather use a ceramic one. (under $5.00) Plus the paint can would not fit the space I have in my ferm chamber for a heater, and Im not willing to ferment one less brew to fit a paint can heater. For those that have the room and modify the plans a bit plus like to tinker... That DIY heater is a smart idea.:mug:

All good points. I already had a grounded extension cord and bulb, hence it was a cheaper build. I use a 15 cu ft freezer to ferment in, so more than enough room. I've used the plastic socket for 3 winters without a single issue... I was apprehensive at first.

All good points. I already had a grounded extension cord and bulb, hence it was a cheaper build. I use a 15 cu ft freezer to ferment in, so more than enough room. I've used the plastic socket for 3 winters without a single issue... I was apprehensive at first.

:mug:

Outstanding, I'm all about building yourself and for sure re purposing what you have on hand for a new project.

And if it works, it works :ban:

For 7.50 and being flat and less dangerous that's probly the way to go. Again thanks for the tips everyone.

Bought a ~20 dollar heat pad from petsmart. Not sure it's going to have enough heat to really do anything. Anyone have any input? Btw stc1000 set up pretty easy and works awesome so far.

Depending on the size of your fridge it can cool 100-500BTU/h while your heating mat puts out ~75BTU(20 watts). So if you're running a dorm fridge you could conceivably overheat your fermenting beer.

Leithoa said:
Depending on the size of your fridge it can cool 100-500BTU/h while your heating mat puts out ~75BTU(20 watts). So if you're running a dorm fridge you could conceivably overheat your fermenting beer.

It's set on a temp controller so no worries there but it's putting out a tiny bit of heat. I'm thinking I went too cheap with the store brand.

For now I'm resorting to letting the fridge heat up with the door open. And letting the temp controller do its thing for cooling.

Back