StarSan Film

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chjohnson622

Reaction score
I purchased 2 2nd hand 6.5 carboys the other day. After a good hose down and scrub I filled them up with water and added some StarSan to them. And check out the film I've never seen that before. Has anyone ever experienced this before? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405800985.842465.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1405801000.076517.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I haven't seen that from Star San, but I've gotten that from OxyClean left overnight. In that case it's oxylates and distilled vinegar rinse takes that off quickly, but as Star San mixed correctly is already down in the < 3 pH range, I'm not sure what you would use next...

Cheers!

Starsan will get cloudy from minerals in the water. If it's left long enough it will precipitate the minerals out of solution and create a white slime. Either use distilled water or don't leave it sitting so long.
Use some barkeepers friend and a carboy brush to remove it.

Thanks It rinsed out with no problems. It was just kind of a surprise when I walk out into my brewery/garage and seen that, it looked pretty nasty. My wife said it looked like snot.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back