Star-San question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
Can I keep this stuff diluted in a container? Or do I need to reconstitute it each time I want to use it? I wanted to have a spray bottle full of it, and a gallon milk jug filled with it for keeping stuff clean in my fermentation cooler.

I haven't used Starsan but I believe yes you can, I use Idophor and keep a keg full of it. I often splash a couple more drops in the keg before I use it.

Your star san is good as long as the solution remains clear. If it turns cloudy throw it out. Mine stays this way for 2-3 months with my tap water. Try some with yours. If it turns cloudy quickly go with the distilled water brewingkitty recommended.

I would NOT wipe down/clean things in my fermentation chamber, keezer or whatever. When star san breaks down it becomes "food" for bacteria/yeast/mold. I found I would get a black mold growing on the inside of my ferm chamber and keezer so switched back to an appropriately dilute bleach solution.

GT

Back