Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #1731
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 22

the 20L isn't that heavy. when it's packed to capacity with grain and totally saturated with wort it's pretty damn heavy, but if you lift it slowly, most of the wort drains down slowly as you lift, and then once it's fairly well drained (20 seconds or so) one good pull gets it up where you need it. no winch, ladder, hoist, chair, crane needed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #1732
psehorne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstag View Post
DeGarre,
Good to know the top plate doen't need to move. Where can a "rubber edge seal" be found?
I've seen a post saying that the bottom plate must be able to move up and down and another post saying it does not. The poster saying it does not need to move is speaking from first hand experience; so I have to believe he is right. What made someone think that it does need to move? Is there something here that I am missing?

Paul

Old 11-07-2012, 03:00 AM   #1733
psehorne
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Using hydrochloic acid (muriatic) to low pH

I've seen several different acids (phosphoric, lactic, for example) mentioned for lowering pH. I have gallons of muriatic acid that I use for my swimming pool. Any reason not to use it?

I filled a corny keg with my high pH tap water and each 5ml of 30% muriatic acid lowered the pH by 1.1; 15 ml took it from 8.1 to 5.8.

As I recall a gallon of muriatic acid is about $10 vs about $15 for one ounce of 85% lactic acid (on Amazon).

I need to settle on this before my first batch. My 20L is supposed to ship tomorrow and I anticipate receiving it before the end of next week. So my first brew day could be as early as Saturday the 17th.

Paul

Last edited by psehorne; 11-07-2012 at 07:17 AM. Reason: correct spelling error

Old 11-07-2012, 03:36 AM   #1734
psehorne
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psehorne View Post
What is the length of the malt pipe for the 20L and how much below the top of the kettle does the malt pipe sit? Or worded another way what is the depth of the kettle from where the bottom of the malt pipe rest to the top of the kettle? The mechanism for pulling the malt pipe out of the kettle must have enough range to lift the bottom of the malt pipe at least a couple of inches above the top of the kettle.
I found this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
20L malt pipe height: 36 cm, ID: 27 cm
That's height: 14.17 inches, ID: 10.6 inches.

Still need to know the distance from the top (or bottom) of the malt pipe to the top of the kettle.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #1735
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Psehorne, I know you Texans think BIG and space is not a problem but just have patience and wait for the BM to arrive and you'll have a better idea what is needed to lift the 20L pipe - it's not that heavy.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #1736
psehorne
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGarre View Post
Psehorne, I know you Texans think BIG and space is not a problem but just have patience and wait for the BM to arrive and you'll have a better idea what is needed to lift the 20L pipe - it's not that heavy.
I'm just trying to get everything in place before the arrival of the BM. I will run a water test before my first brew. I don't want to find out that standing on a step stool with my arms extended trying to drain 10kg of grist and liquor is more than I can handle. (I've seen your videos).

I have made a checklist and am just trying to have everything ready when my machine gets here. I don't want add stress by having to run all over town at the last moment.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #1737
psehorne
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default My 20L shipped today

My 20L shipped today!!!

Old 11-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #1738
digitaldeluge
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I'm just trying to get everything in place before the arrival of the BM. I will run a water test before my first brew. I don't want to find out that standing on a step stool with my arms extended trying to drain 10kg of grist and liquor is more than I can handle. (I've seen your videos).

I have made a checklist and am just trying to have everything ready when my machine gets here. I don't want add stress by having to run all over town at the last moment.
You are doing the opposite of what I did. I got my BM before any of the other stuff I needed arrived. Two days later after doing a water test I was impatient for my stuff to arrive so I ran to my LHBS on the way home and grabbed a 30L bucket, airlock, starsan and picked a recipe off a flyer they had and winged it default BM programming and all. The beer actually came out good too! So I can say with experience as long as your good about cleaning nothing needs to be perfect. Heck I didn't even chill the wart I threw it in the bucket and let it cool in the garage overnight and pitched the yeast the next morning. That was my first bew EVER too! Just jump in.

Quote:
My 20L shipped today!!!
Nice! Order you grain bill etc NOW! trust me you'll wish you had it once you BM arrives!

Old 11-08-2012, 02:56 AM   #1739
psehorne
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldeluge View Post
Nice! Order you grain bill etc NOW! trust me you'll wish you had it once you BM arrives!
I've had the ingredients for a couple of weeks. I was given a tracking number on Friday October 26th; so my unit should have been here already. However it never got passed off to FedEx until today. I anticipate delivery around Wednesday of next week.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:17 AM   #1740
psehorne
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
I've had the ingredients for a couple of weeks. I was given a tracking number on Friday October 26th; so my unit should have been here already. However it never got passed off to FedEx until today. I anticipate delivery around Wednesday of next week.
I have the ingredients on hand for my first two brews. First up is an American Blonde. Something simple to get me familiar with the system.

On deck an American Brown Ale.

Then I'm going to invite my Son-in-law to re-do his (LME) Northern England Brown Ale all-grain.

So I've got three beers lined up to begin my pipeline.

Last edited by psehorne; 11-08-2012 at 03:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply