A Simple 2 Liter Bottle Pre-Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefost

Reaction score
Yesterday I came up with (what I think is) a new technique for pre-chilling water before an immersion or CFC chiller.

I wanted to add ice water directly to my running hose without extra pumps or copper chillers. My hose water is just slightly too hot to get to pitching temps so just a little extra cooling would come in handy, especially during the summer.

So what I came up with was this nifty little contraption. Behold, the 2 Liter bottle Pre-Chiller!

attachment.php

What you have here is a a device that allows you to attach a frozen 2 liter bottle in line between your garden hose and immersion chiller. The water circulates in the bottle causing the ice to melt, quickly cooling down the water.

Building this contraption requires a garden hose Y-splitter, a female to female hose connection, and a tube connected to a small barb.

Step 1) Attaching bottle to the hose splitter.

It turns out that the 3/4" garden hose thread is really close to that of a 2-liter bottle. To get them to fit almost perfectly, all you have to do is heat the 2-liter bottle thread with a hair drier or heat gun to melt it ever so slightly. Then you carefully thread it into a garden hose the best you can. The plastic threads will melt and reform to fit on the garden hose. I was able to get this to work on the first try, so it's not too difficult.

attachment.php

Step 2) Attatching the barb and hose

After testing my first prototype I leaned that the Y splitter wasn't by itself providing enough turbulence in the bottle to melt the ice quickly. What I did was add a barb connected to some 1/4" tubing to redirect the incoming water into the plastic bottle.

attachment.php

On the left is my first version, which is a 3/8" brass barb (1/4" would be preferable). I chopped off a bit on the top and bottom of the fitting using my angle grinder to get it to fit in the Y splitter. I had to heat up the tubing and fitting and use some serious force to get them to fit together.

On the right is the second version, which instead uses a 3/16" beer tap tail piece I found in my box of spare parts. This fits with no modifications needed, although the smaller diameter does appear to limit the flow ever so slightly. A 1/4" tail piece would be perfect.

Step 3) Assemble as shown.

attachment.php

At the top right of the image, you can see I adapted the device to fit a garden hose. A normal garden hose outlet thread is male, so I used two female garden hose thread to barb adapters. The two adapters are connected by some tubing and clamped together.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Don't use silicone tubing for the female-to-female garden hose adapter. The pressure is too high and it will fail at high hose pressures (see final picture for example)

The Test

I gave it a quick test run from my sink faucet with a 2L bottle that had been filled with water and then fully frozen. It took 3 minutes and 15 seconds to melt the entire bottle of ice. That seems like just about the perfect amount of time to me, as that gives me enough time to use 2 bottles if I prefer.

For my second test, I was concerned how much the pre-chiller might restrict water flow. I connected the pre-chiller to my higher pressure garden hose and turned the hose up all the way.

attachment.php

As you can see, I was able to get a very strong flow through the 50' chiller - more than adequate for my purposes. Unfortunately at the bottom right you can see the silicone tubing failing at high pressure. High psi tubing is definitely required for the female-female garden hose adapter.

Verdict: Success! I look forward to giving this prototype a bit more testing but so far it looks like it is functioning exactly as I had hoped. I plan on using 1 or 2 frozen bottles for my 5 gallon batches, and 2-3 bottles for 10 gallon batches. Should work great, I'm actually surprised by how functional this thing turned out! I'm not sure if anyone else will find it useful, but it looks just about perfect for me.

20140619_074721.jpg

20140619_074531.jpg

20140619_075137.jpg

20140619_073323.jpg

20140617_182859.jpg

Pretty cool! It would be nice if you could do a few in-line, but it is a pretty nice way of doing it with what you have around. Could also get some fittings/dip tube and do the same idea with a 5 gal bucket with lid.

Nice work! I may trying to adapt this. It took a long time to cool a 10 gallon batch a couple weeks ago and I wished I had some bags of ice to recirc my spent water (stored in the MT or HLT) to then recirc it back through the chiller to get it chilled faster.

Pretty cool! It would be nice if you could do a few in-line, but it is a pretty nice way of doing it with what you have around. Could also get some fittings/dip tube and do the same idea with a 5 gal bucket with lid.

I've been thinking that doing a few inline would be sweet, and is probably doable cheaply. I'm gonna give it a try.

As for the bucket idea, I'm not sure if that would work. The 2-liter bottle is under pretty high pressure that I'm not sure the bucket could withstand without blowing the lid. A corny keg would work though :D

This is awesome. FTR, that 7 fitting is what? 4 bucks? For 10 bucks more you can get a pond pump at Harbor freight, use your hose water as "prechiller" and ice water, the pump and a 5G bucket for your knockout chiller.

I LOVE the ingenuity and DIY steeze though. Nicely done!

This is awesome. FTR, that 7 fitting is what? 4 bucks? For 10 bucks more you can get a pond pump at Harbor freight, use your hose water as "prechiller" and ice water, the pump and a 5G bucket for your knockout chiller.

I LOVE the ingenuity and DIY steeze though. Nicely done!

Thanks!

Yep, you can definitely do the pond pump as cheaply. In fact, I have a sump pump and have done it that way many times.

There are a few downsides for me to using my sump pump. First, it requires a container of water, and to fit my 2L bottles of ice in it I needed a big 20-ish gallon plastic storage bin. I brew in my kitchen, so space is at a premium. Having a big plastic container, power extension cable, and more hoses was not ideal. And having to set the thing up adds time.

Next, my 1/3hp sump pump would produce a lot of heat, so that wasted ice.

Getting the ice to melt meant recirculating back into the 2L bottles. I found my container of ice water was getting warmer and warmer as I recirculated. Or I could just use far more ice than I needed, but I refuse to buy ice and don't have a built in ice machine.

And since I had to recirculate into bottles, I would have to monitor the set-up to make sure it was melting properly, which many times it wasn't.

To sum it up, the sump pump method takes space and and a little extra effort. If I had an ice machine or unlimited free ice I would go that route, but since I'm limited by freezer space I'm ice limited. I just wanted the absolute simplest method of transferring some cold energy from a limited amount of ice into my immersion chiller.

The sump pump method is definitely the best way to go though for the majority of people.

Thanks!

Yep, you can definitely do the pond pump as cheaply. In fact, I have a sump pump and have done it that way many times.

There are a few downsides for me to using my sump pump. First, it requires a container of water, and to fit my 2L bottles of ice in it I needed a big 20-ish gallon plastic storage bin. I brew in my kitchen, so space is at a premium. Having a big plastic container, power extension cable, and more hoses was not ideal. And having to set the thing up adds time.

Next, my 1/3hp sump pump would produce a lot of heat, so that wasted ice.

Getting the ice to melt meant recirculating back into the 2L bottles. I found my container of ice water was getting warmer and warmer as I recirculated. Or I could just use far more ice than I needed, but I refuse to buy ice and don't have a built in ice machine.

And since I had to recirculate into bottles, I would have to monitor the set-up to make sure it was melting properly, which many times it wasn't.

To sum it up, the sump pump method takes space and and a little extra effort. If I had an ice machine or unlimited free ice I would go that route, but since I'm limited by freezer space I'm ice limited. I just wanted the absolute simplest method of transferring some cold energy from a limited amount of ice into my immersion chiller.

The sump pump method is definitely the best way to go though for the majority of people.

I actually use frozen 2L bottles in a 5G bucket. But the difference sounds like it's your pump heat. I use a very small pump, and agitate/massage the 2L bottle in the bucket constantly. When it starts to melt down enough I put the 2nd bottle in there. I recirculate into that bucket too. The key is not to start using that method until you're down to 90F or so.

But this is all digression from your awesome DIY work. If this works best for ya, then more power to ya! :mug:

Back