Which Quick Disconnect to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bisctboy

Reaction score
I want to get some opinions on which Quick Disconnect to use on the eHERMS system I am building...Cam vs the "click" type. Is there any difference in them other than how they attach? for reference here are 2 pictures to them:

Cam version

cam.jpg

Click version

QD.jpg

Thanks,

Marshall

I use the cam locks. Not sure if they are better. I went with them because I despise the "click" version for air tools. They seem to always leak. It probably doesn't correlate to beer....but that was my thought process. Having said that, I'm very happy with the cam-locks.

I only have experience with the click version. The "hood" sometimes gets stuck with wort in it. They also get hot and so entires hard to remove and reattach with bare hands Neither a show stopper, just comments

Check out Bobby M's video on youtube about this very topic. He explains how the camlock system is superior to the other style.

Last edited by a moderator:
My system has polysulphone QDs and I've built one with camlocks and the other kind you are looking at. The camlocks are cheaper but you'll need 2 hands to connect them up while the other ones can be done one handed. BUT, when compared to the polysulphone ones, they get hot.

If I were to build my system again I'd probably go with the non camlocks if price wasn't an issue but then again, if I had to use the camlocks, I'd be fine with them too.

Another thing I'd read is that all of the QDs out there may not work together if you get them from different vendors. Just something to think about.

After a few trail runs, one hand operation of the camlocks is a cinch. Also, the only time they may get hot, is if your flame is too big and comes up the side of your pot. From just liquid, I've never had to use gloves.

I like my "click" ones. They do get hot, but I just use a washcloth or something as a hotpad.

Once it a while, one sticks. But overall, they've been great for me.

Back