Possible to setup a good-quality HERMS for $700?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I've finally built my brewstand, have my keggles in place, and now desire to build a good HERMS Build -- with a budget of $700.

Right away I know it gets knocked down to $550 after 1 March Pump.

Possible to do?

Do you already have burners on your frame?
Basically all you need is a pump, coil, hoses, quick disconnects and a temperature controller. So, yes I think you can do it. If you want to make your HLT all electric, then it may be tough to come in under $700, depending on your skills at appropriation.
What do you want to build?

Burners?? You can do a decent electric HERMS for 700 bucks I think... I think that is possible. Gas? With solenoid valves and pilots and such, may be a smidge harder...

Those odd's and end's add up quick. It's amazing how one simple trip to Lowe's can break the bank.

You can save a ton of bank by doing brass instead of stainless. eBay is great source for industrial parts and fittings. I saved a couple hundred on my build just in stainless fittings thanks to eBay.

What all are you needing? Are you wanting to build a frame? Gas or electric?

If it is a HERMS with the coil in the HLT... Id go electric... PID, SSR, heatsink... $80 there, $30 to set up the element in the HLT kettle, so for $110 you have your basic heating and control for the HERMS portion. Another PID, SSR, heatsink combo for the BK... $110 for the basics. So now you are looking at $220. Do you already have a coil? $70 for the coil, add in $200 for a nice control panel... you are now up to $490.

I could go on, but you see the general idea...

I'm gonna have to get a coil-- i have burners and the stand

So I guess I'm going to have to get the coil, switches, tubing, temp probes, disconnects, and control panel.

I'll probably get the coil, pumps, tubing and disconnects off MoreBeer.com -- where do i buy the temp probes, switches, scolenoid valves, and control panel?

Id start looking at EBAY, AUTOMATION DIRECT and AUBER INSTRUMENTS...

google bcs-460.. i have one and am learning to love it. Essentially four temp controllers with a web interface, plus a lot more.

Now you have got me rethinking my approach. I am in the middle of a build and was planning to go with Propane. I think it is easy to setup but more difficult on brew day vs Electric which may be harder to setup but will make brewday much easier?????
hhmmmm what to do??

Electric isnt very hard to set up...

Each element needs a PID and SSR... that is about it. Wires are easier to run than pipes IMHO... and installing an element is easier than plumbing and installing a burner... etc.

You will need 240VAC, or 220VAC, whatever you have at your home. And, so that you are not limited, you should have about 50A available for the panel.

Those odd's and end's add up quick. It's amazing how one simple trip to Lowe's can break the bank.

No joke. Just a heatstick and switchable, GFCI protected extension cord came to over $80 in parts.

Looking at 220v parts makes me cringe.

Back