Pesticides??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okgasdude

Reaction score
Ok, so, I can get 2 corny kegs, and one other corny style that I think may be 10 gallons, for prob about 20 bucks for the 3. The issue is that they were used to spray pesticides with. Can they be cleaned for brewing use? Im thinking that if I cleaned the crap out of them and installed new popits gaskets and relief valves, I should be ok. Thoughts???

I would ask what pesticides were used. Starsan is by definition a pesticide, falls under FIFRA and is commonly used in corni kegs. The risk will be relative to the specific chemical.

No way to know for sure, I know it was for plants and trees and such...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You will for sure need to change the O-rings and I personally would swap out the poppets as they have rubber in them as well as the quick release valve (is it's ball lock style) as those are rubber/plastic as well.

So if i replace all the orings popits and relief valves, and clean the crap out of the stainless with some Birko, I should be golden?

I am not sure what Birko is, but if it's similar to oxi-clean, PBW, or sodium percarbonate then as long as you switch out the parts you mentioned (e.g. everything that is plastic or rubber as they have pores that can't really be cleaned) you should be fine.

Yeah cell r master is the Birko equivalent of PBW, a local home brewery let a bunch of us buy on their order, so I got a 5 gallon bucket for about the same price as the big pbw from lhbs!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back