Opinion Needed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajun_Tiger33

Reaction score
I think they'd all work fine. My Taprite makes my life easier...

I can only say I like my taprites, but I don't have any other brands. My brother in law has a cheapy regulator that I occasionally have to adjust, and I hate it. However, a good regulator is one that works... in the end as long as it lets you control your CO2 you're good!

Gartywood said:
I'd get the first one

Have you had any experience with it?

I'm a college student so money isn't just flowing in, I don't want to go out and but a regulator and in a few weeks it just be total crap and have to go buy a new one...

Have you had any experience with it?

I'm a college student so money isn't just flowing in, I don't want to go out and but a regulator and in a few weeks it just be total crap and have to go buy a new one...

So why would you be considering the more expensive no-name brand, over the industry leader in beverage gas dispensing?

I sort of had limited funds to spend, too, and decided to go with the taprites. My thought process was similar. "Buy once and be happy" - in buying brewing gear I think the best advice is to envision your ideal gear and get that.

It can be hard. Right now I do all grain. But don't have the boil kettle to do it right. So I boil in multiple pots. The other day I saw a good deal on an 8 gallon pot at the store, but didn't get it because I want to do 10 gallon batches and knew I'd just upgrade it in a few months when I could afford it. So I'll wait until May when I can get a keggle or pot set up (still on the fence) and a burner.

So, my advice: get something high quality.

I sort of had limited funds to spend, too, and decided to go with the taprites. My thought process was similar. "Buy once and be happy" - in buying brewing gear I think the best advice is to envision your ideal gear and get that.

It can be hard. Right now I do all grain. But don't have the boil kettle to do it right. So I boil in multiple pots. The other day I saw a good deal on an 8 gallon pot at the store, but didn't get it because I want to do 10 gallon batches and knew I'd just upgrade it in a few months when I could afford it. So I'll wait until May when I can get a keggle or pot set up (still on the fence) and a burner.

So, my advice: get something high quality.

what would be your suggestion of something high quality?

I have one of the first and the second. I prefer the second as you dont need to pull the pressure release valve when turning down the gas, it automatically vents.

Go with the Taprite. I had another dual body regulator, that developed an issue. Replaced it with a Taprite (with MFL connection on the gas out side, KC did the alteration for me at that time) and have been loving it. I picked up my first single body (used but rebuilt) and it's been solid. At this point, I'll only consider Taprite regulators.

Also, look at Keg Connection's Taprite offerings. IME, great place to get kegging supplies. Plus, IF something goes sideways with what you order, they'll bend over backwards to make things right.

BTW, whichever one you get, make sure you have a MFL connection for the gas line. Makes changing the line, or removing it for maintenance, MUCH easier. :D

I have one of the first and the second. I prefer the second as you dont need to pull the pressure release valve when turning down the gas, it automatically vents.

But it doesn't vent until you lower the pressure a lot. Having the relief valve allows you with check valves in the gas lines to lower a quarter turn vent and see where. The guage goes rather than decreasing a lot and having to turn back up. I have the tap rite without the handle and really wish I had a handle. I also have a used regulator inherited from work that used to have a relief valve before I re-plumbed the gas. I miss the manual relief valve. This is why I would buy the one with the relief.

One parameter you might consider is that some regulators have left hand threads on some of the ports. Not necessarily a major issue but one that can make it a little more difficult when shopping for fittings.

FWIW, I use MFL shutoff valves on my regulators. FFL and oetiker clamps on hoses. It makes life simpler when reconfiguring, although it has an initial setup cost that might not fit your budget.

But it doesn't vent until you lower the pressure a lot. Having the relief valve allows you with check valves in the gas lines to lower a quarter turn vent and see where. The guage goes rather than decreasing a lot and having to turn back up. I have the tap rite without the handle and really wish I had a handle. I also have a used regulator inherited from work that used to have a relief valve before I re-plumbed the gas. I miss the manual relief valve. This is why I would buy the one with the relief.

That is not the case with mine, maybe they changed the design but i can turn it down 2 or so psi at a time then i turn it back up slightly to get to where I want. much easier than turning it down and guessing then having to turn it back up a ton.

John Guest fittings for gas and airline rated to 250psi doubt I'll ever exceed that, we use them all over the place at work for air and gas as well as robotics so they are well tested over the years.

Latest posts

Back