Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New Replacement for March Pump

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #131
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
It's not approved on the FDA site because it is not a food additive. Chevron Phillips makes Ryton. Here's their FAQ link:

http://www.cpchem.com/bl/rytonpps/en-us/Pages/faq.aspx

from that source: "Do you have any "FDA approved" grades of Ryton® PPS?
Answer: There are no "U.S. FDA approved" Ryton® PPS injection molding compounds. Polyphenylene sulfide resins are specifically permitted under 21 CFR 177.2490 as coatings or components of coatings of articles intended for repeated food contact use, subject to certain limitations. This permission does not extend to articles injection molded from Ryton® PPS injection molding compounds. But, ordinary houseware articles, such as dishes, flatware, beverage glasses, mugs, cooking utensils, cutlery, and electrical appliances, are not subject to U.S. FDA regulation as "food additives." Therefore Ryton® PPS injection molding compounds may be suitable for use in such articles classified as housewares, but such use is subject to the general safety provisions of the U.S. Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, meaning their use cannot in any way adulterate the food contacted. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer of the final article to determine the safety and suitability of Ryton® PPS for such applications. Several Ryton® PPS injection molding compounds have been certified to comply with the requirements of various Potable Water and Food Contact Standards."

I still think it's BS. I would trust the Ryton way before I would trust the radioactive Chinese stainless steel. Actually, Wikipedia IS generally a reliable source on descriptions and it's easy to cross check any info found there. I suppose you could come up with contradictory information on nearly any topic if you search long enough. What material is used for the plastic March pump heads? Is there a hazard with those also?
I am not sure that I would take the word of a chemical company either. The unfortunate thing is that we will not know the hazards of long time expsoure to any of the chemicals in these plastics for many years to come. That's why I have a problem with people that spout, "I use it and have no problem". The fact is that no, you don't have a problem now, but in 20 years you may have a penis growing from your forehead or you could be fine. The point is that nobody knows for sure. I am not an alarmist and if you feel safe, use it, but don't try to convince others when not all the facts of long time exposure are known. The decision to use should be up to the individual because only they know how much risk they are willing to take. Nobody needs convincing.

Guy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2010, 01:00 AM   #132
Scut_Monkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Any updates on these pumps? I'm debating the whole chugger/march/little giant ordeal. I'm leaning to trying a chugger pump but there isn't much feedback on people that have actually used one.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #133
chuckjaxfl
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut_Monkey View Post
Any updates on these pumps? I'm debating the whole chugger/march/little giant ordeal. I'm leaning to trying a chugger pump but there isn't much feedback on people that have actually used one.
Well, I can only comment on the replacement head, not the complete pump. The one I have is working well. Even the seizing issue disappeared. I've run several batches of brew through it and I can't begin to guess how many hours running it as a sous vide.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #134
chuggerpumps
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Show me some Stainless Steel that is not from China, Indonesia or Vietnam...they sell it to everyone ....it sucks we cant mfg things here the US and actaully make $$$$...let me know when everyone wants to pay more money for SS made inthe USA !!! As for the plastic .....show me one food mfg that uses plastic in any of their processes?? The FDA will not allow it ....Chugger is a good alternative to the ryton ....what guy wouldnt want an extra penis anyway ?

Old 11-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #135
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuggerpumps View Post
Show me some Stainless Steel that is not from China, Indonesia or Vietnam...they sell it to everyone ....it sucks we cant mfg things here the US and actaully make $$$$...let me know when everyone wants to pay more money for SS made inthe USA !!! As for the plastic .....show me one food mfg that uses plastic in any of their processes?? The FDA will not allow it ....Chugger is a good alternative to the ryton ....what guy wouldnt want an extra penis anyway ?
Totally depends where it is.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #136
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Quote:
Is there any estimate when the revised editions of the SS pumps will be coming out? From what I have read the current SS versions are prototypes but the newer version will be 316 SS and with SS internals. Is this true and when? Also, will the price reflect these changes? Thanks.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #137
chuggerpumps
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

working on it now probaly not until spring

Old 11-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #138
Hogcrewer
Recipes 

If I had a extra penis, does that mean that the wife can still keep her bf?......Just asking................Great product Mike.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #139
chuggerpumps
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

LOL.... send me your address at mike@caringi.com I will send youa pump FREE

Old 11-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #140
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Quote:
LOL.... send me your address at mike@caringi.com I will send youa pump FREE
Who are you offering this to? Thanks again.

Quick Reply