New burner, not sure if it's working right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sd_tom

Reaction score
Just started playing with a camp chef, morebeer, burner I got a month ago. Read a lot of threads about messing around with the air shutter, and what people are describing doesn't really match at all what I'm seeing... talking about blue with yellow tips.. I've just got pretty much a orange/blue blend that's 8in high. Opening the shutter all the way, the noise increases, blue areas get tighter.. closing it all the way, noises go away and blue areas open up, seem more fluid. So all in all, it seems impossible to get to the extremes people talk about here... either a sooty yellow only flame, or only blue with just hints of yellow.. kind of like the shutter is just having limited effects.. maybe that's by design but since I'm coming from stove top brewing not sure what the right answer is.

Anyway, I recorded a bit of it and tossed it on you tube so people with burners like mine can maybe point at a timestamp of what the best position is. The other day i did boil 7 gallons in 38 minutes, messing with the shutter and how high I was turning up the propane continually so didn't really learn much.. other than i can get flames to leap up the side of the pot if I really want ;)

I tried to call out when the shutter is full open/closed at 2 gas levels.. med then high.

Any guidance here would be appreciated, thanks! Just want to be efficient as I can with the propane.. no sense wasting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks and sounds like even with the air shutter closed you still are getting too much air, not a big problem but wastes gas. You might want to bend the air shutter a bit closer to the opening and adjust until the jet engine roar quiets and the tip of the flames turns yellow.

ok just tried it again focusing on less air being the way i wanted to go, i had been assuming more air as people generally have talked about jet engine sounds. So I tightened down all the connections on the regulator assembly and started it with shutter closed. I did appear to have the desired mostly blue with flecks of orange... Since even when the shutter is "full closed" there's still air getting in through the shutter since the covering portion doesn't have enough surface area to fully block, I took some aluminum foil and started covering up the air inlet entirely.. and was able to finally get the yellow sooty flame that people talk about when there's too little air.

For completeness here's a new video of the playing around i did this morning.. it's daylight now so flames harder to see, but everything else is.. I'm not getting the tall orange anymore regardless, I'm thinking maybe it was a fitting issue or maybe the low flow safety stuff had halfway engaged or something, although last time was the 4th time i had fired it up and got the same giant blue/orange combo.

So thinking just leave it closed and get busy making beer? Or is there something to jet engine sounds/tighter blue flames.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to be okay with shutter closed, a little less air would be good for fuel consumption reduction but not important enough to hold up beer production.

Back