New 15 Gallon Build.... Suggestions appreciated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeahfairly

Reaction score
Howdy Folks!

I am working on ordering two 20 Gallon Kettles from Spikes and I can't make up my mind on which direction to go. Question..... on the Kettles... would you prefer Tri Clover, Quick Disconnects, Cam Locks or just basic threaded connections? My first inclination was to go with Tri Clover welds on the Kettles and Tri Clover throughout the brew build. It's a bit more costly but I grew up on a Dairy and I like the ease and reliability (plus they look cool).

Another question... I was planning on going with a two chugger pump system on this build. My plan is to attempt to recirculate water out of an ice bath through the immersion chiller with one pump while whirl pooling the wort with the second. Does anyone do this and is it feasible to move enough water through the chiller with a chugger pump to cool the wort efficiently (I have never used pumps in my brewing process before)?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!!!!

Thanks!

Similar thoughts here - 3 70qt Jarhill pots, bottom drained w TCs, TCs on electric elements; Woody stand with maybe hardpiping (copper).
Besides a "doing it right" built and moving from modular-carry-dozens-of-pieces-through-the-house, priority it has to look good for swmbo approval. ;-)

Howdy Folks!

I am working on ordering two 20 Gallon Kettles from Spikes and I can't make up my mind on which direction to go. Question..... on the Kettles... would you prefer Tri Clover, Quick Disconnects, Cam Locks or just basic threaded connections? My first inclination was to go with Tri Clover welds on the Kettles and Tri Clover throughout the brew build. It's a bit more costly but I grew up on a Dairy and I like the ease and reliability (plus they look cool).

Another question... I was planning on going with a two chugger pump system on this build. My plan is to attempt to recirculate water out of an ice bath through the immersion chiller with one pump while whirl pooling the wort with the second. Does anyone do this and is it feasible to move enough water through the chiller with a chugger pump to cool the wort efficiently (I have never used pumps in my brewing process before)?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!!!!

Thanks!

If I were to build my build again I'd do tri clover for all the welded fittings. You can always do tri-clover to NPT adapters if you want to do some standard ball valves/camlocks.

Back