My Fridge Multitasks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
So when I got this thing, almost new, on the cheap, a few months back, this is exactly what I had in mind: a multi-purpose cooling chamber. Well this is the first time I've used it for lager fermentation, and it's working out well. I can't get an airlock on there with the clearance, but hooking up some vinyl tubing to the carboy cap works just as well.

So here you are...

4 kegs plus co2 tank? Check.
8 lbs+ of hops? Check.
Yeast bank? Check.
Bottled brews? Check.
Lagering carboy? Check.

fridge-mp.jpg

If I wanted to, I could probably take out the rest of those small bottles and fit another carboy in there. And yeah, there's only 3 kegs, but that's because the other one's empty. It definitely fits 4. What a deal!

now you just need the taps through the door!

Nah, not doing that. I already have a Sanyo 4912 with a 2-tap tower out in the living room. At the worst, I'll get a manifold (right now my gas line just tees) and maybe add another regulator dial so I can force-carb and serve at the same time. But there's no need to drill this thing.

That looks like an ideal fridge for lagering and general cold storage use. A heck of a lot more convenient than the dorm-fridge fermentation chamber i'm thinking of building. Maybe i'll just keep checking craigslist...

I would be putting those hops in a freezer..... Other then that, what you have going looks great. :rockin:

If I had a freezer that would fit all those hops, then I would. But as is, my chest freezer is chock full of the proceeds from the 3 deer I shot over the holidays. So fridge temps will have to do. Most of 'em are foodsaved anyway, so it's not a huge deal.

Glad to see I'm not the only one with picnic taps :D

I have one with Freezer on top. I have some wine in the way bottom, the fridge door is filled with specialty bottles. The inside houses my Kegs, and a lager in a BB and currently the CO2, which I plan on moving outside. The top holds my liquor and specialty malts.

I thought there was a door on that little room under the stairs in the last pic you posted.

Oh, no, the door's still there, it's just open in that pic. And it's not really a "room under the stairs". From where I took the pic, if you turn around, it's the mudroom, with a utility sink and a door to the back patio...and there's also a door behind me to the left that leads to the rest of the unfinished basement, including the laundry room/brewhouse. You know, this one:

empty.jpg

If I had a freezer that would fit all those hops, then I would. But as is, my chest freezer is chock full of the proceeds from the 3 deer I shot over the holidays. .

All those hops and the deer? Now I don't like you.....
I have not got a deer in like 8 years. :mad:

All those hops and the deer? Now I don't like you.....
I have not got a deer in like 8 years. :mad:

Really? Deezamn. You should come to where I hunt. There's this tree stand on the edge of this corn field. Around 4:15pm, the mufuggers start appearing out of the treeline like clockwork. I shot those three in a span of 15 minutes. I'm really out there for the meat, honestly, not to take the price buck...so if I see a good sized doe, I take it.

Have you had any problems keeping your hops at fridge-temp instead of freezer temp? Is it OK to store hops at 40F? I thought it'd cause accelerated degradation.

My freezer on my kegerator doesn't work (No Ranco, stock thermostat... just old and broken) and so I still have my hops in my main food freezer. But it takes 1/3 of the space in there, and SWMBO doesn't like that! :mad:

Edit: LOL. Whoops. Netscape glitched while scrolling, I didn't see FSR ask the same question. Srry.

Really? Deezamn. You should come to where I hunt. There's this tree stand on the edge of this corn field. Around 4:15pm, the mufuggers start appearing out of the treeline like clockwork. I shot those three in a span of 15 minutes. I'm really out there for the meat, honestly, not to take the price buck...so if I see a good sized doe, I take it.

I'm out there for the meat also but we can't shot does where I'm at and I have not seen any bucks. They are there, other people are getting them, I just don't see them.

I'm out there for the meat also but we can't shot does where I'm at and I have not seen any bucks. They are there, other people are getting them, I just don't see them.

You can't shoot doe's? Really? Wow. Our yearly tag sheet is mostly antlerless, with maybe 2 "either sex", so they're clearly encouraging doe hunting. The farm where I got these was actually explicit in their request that we leave smaller bucks and go for either females or mature males. I accidentally took a smaller buck because it looked like a good sized doe from the stand, but what can you do?

So, any idea why they prohibit doe hunting where you are?

Latest posts

Back