Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Mash tun insulation???

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2014, 12:41 AM   #11
Snausages01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 128
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

The mineral wool is just glued to the jacket and the jacket is held in place by the two clamps seen on the front. I pull it off after I'm done brewing so I can clean the pot and not have to worry about getting the insulation wet. It also allows the insulation to dry if I spilt anything on while brewing.

__________________

-Chris

Snausages01 is offline
lhommedieu Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 01:50 PM   #12
lhommedieu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 271
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snausages01 View Post
The mineral wool is just glued to the jacket and the jacket is held in place by the two clamps seen on the front. I pull it off after I'm done brewing so I can clean the pot and not have to worry about getting the insulation wet. It also allows the insulation to dry if I spilt anything on while brewing.
That's a great system. 2 more questions, if you don't mind:

1. What kind of high temp glue would you recommend?
2. How did you attach the clamps? I'm guessing that you used bolts and nuts before gluing on the wool - but maybe grommets?

Best,

Steve
__________________
lhommedieu is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #13
DoWBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 226
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

My solution is to wrap my mashtun in an electric blanket with another blanket wrapped around it. It is cheap and works well. The only draw back is when I direct fire I have to unwrap it.

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

__________________
DoWBrewer is offline
lhommedieu Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #14
RiverCityBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 766
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I'll second the carbon fiber welding blanket, works great and can handle direct fire with no issues.

__________________
RiverCityBrewer is offline
nhwrecker Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #15
bbnbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bbnbrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 77
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default

I want to try this on my blichmann MT how does this look maybe folded for extra thickness??

http://m.harborfreight.com/4-ft-x-6-ft-fiberglass-welding-blanket-67833.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

__________________
bbnbrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #16
lhommedieu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 271
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default

How would you guys attach the welding blanket to the tun? Maybe a stretchable cord of some kind on the top and bottom? If the blanket had a couple of layers, then the bottom part would probably insulate the cord from the heat of the burner.

__________________
lhommedieu is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #17
Snausages01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 128
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhommedieu View Post
That's a great system. 2 more questions, if you don't mind:

1. What kind of high temp glue would you recommend?
2. How did you attach the clamps? I'm guessing that you used bolts and nuts before gluing on the wool - but maybe grommets?

Best,

Steve

I just used regular spray adhesive. The jacket never gets that hot; I can always put my hand on it. The only part of the insulation that gets hot is the stuff on the very bottom that is exposed to the flame when I'm heating strike water with full flame.

The clamps were welded to the jacket.
__________________

-Chris

Snausages01 is offline
lhommedieu Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #18
RiverCityBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 766
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnbrew View Post
I want to try this on my blichmann MT how does this look maybe folded for extra thickness??

http://m.harborfreight.com/4-ft-x-6-ft-fiberglass-welding-blanket-67833.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided
That is fiberglass, not carbon fiber... I can't speak to its ability to withstand direct fire.
__________________
RiverCityBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #19
RiverCityBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 766
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhommedieu View Post
How would you guys attach the welding blanket to the tun? Maybe a stretchable cord of some kind on the top and bottom? If the blanket had a couple of layers, then the bottom part would probably insulate the cord from the heat of the burner.
I used to have snaps installed on the blanket so I could just snap it in place, but it has stretched a bit over the last 2 years. Now I just wrap it around the MLT and use a bungee cord to hold it in place.
__________________
RiverCityBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #20
Black Island Brewer
An Ode to Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Black Island Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Isla Negra
Posts: 946
Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Default

I use the Velvet Shield carbon fiber welding blanket, wrapped triple layer around and secured with some nuts, bolts and washers. Looks like hell where it bolts, but works like a charm. I can post a link to the item when I'm back on my PC, but right after I bought it the price went up like crazy!

__________________
Drunk as drunk on turpentine/from your open kisses...
Black Island Brewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Insulation for Mash Tun davidr7283 General Beer Discussion 7 10-20-2013 07:32 PM
Mash Tun insulation hsiddall All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 10-16-2012 06:24 AM
Mash tun insulation asterix404 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 08-15-2011 10:41 PM
Best mash tun insulation??? runhard Equipment/Sanitation 11 11-30-2009 06:35 PM
Mash tun insulation Brewer3401 Equipment/Sanitation 11 06-26-2007 02:14 PM