Man, I really don't want to drive back to the brewshop!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
What would you folks do?

I just bought another 6 gallon carboy today. I was just washing it getting it ready for another batch of apfelwein when I noticed slight little cracks along half of the upper portion of the neck. They are definately cracks, I can feel roughness on the outside. They do not go all the way through as the inside is smooth. I guess they are stress cracks from when it was made?

Part of me thinks I should get a new one, the other says... well, see the title.

It is about a 30 minute drive. I guess I could put the apfelwein in my 6.5 gallon right now and then take the other back next week.

ARGH! :mad:

I was hoping to get back to brewing beer next week so I wanted the 6.5 for that.

Opinions?

keep it, no problem it will be fine?
Take it back, you should get a perfect one for full price?

TAKE IT BACK

If you can feel cracks on the inside and outside it is way too fubar to keep. All it takes you you lifting that carboy to get all sticky with wort. I know it is a hike to take it back but the down side is way too down

My $.02

John

It won't take much for that thing to shatter into a million pieces. Be safe. Don't use it. Get another one.

Alright. Thanks for the reality check.

Taking it back. 'Fraid I won't make it in time today, but they are pretty laid back at my LHBS and will take it back in a few days if i wait.

When will I learn to check this **** out before I leave the store!

Thanks again.

The real bummer is I will probably buy more stuff when I go back! :D

Are you 100% they are cracks? I have a carboy that has what I thought were cracks on the neck. I now believe they are just markings from when it was made. They do not travel through but I can feel them when I run my hands over them. There is no loss of liquid from them so personally I kept them. If you believe yours are seriously cracks then by all means take it back... eventually. I also have a long drive to the HB store and man is it a pain in the butt. I hate it (well and I love it). And I never make a list so I always have to go back. So YMMV but I kept mine and their seems to be no problems.

Yeah...I just imagine transporting a full carboy and holding it close to my body when the thing decides to disintegrate and a 10 inch shard of glass slices me wide open. Not worth the risk!

knights of Gambrinus said:
Alright. Thanks for the reality check.

Taking it back. 'Fraid I won't make it in time today, but they are pretty laid back at my LHBS and will take it back in a few days if i wait.

When will I learn to check this **** out before I leave the store!

Thanks again.

The real bummer is I will probably buy more stuff when I go back! :D

Make sure you atleast call and leave a message TODAY!

If you come to the store I work at, we check EVERY SINGLE carboy, before it ever leaves our store. Even if it is a bubble in the smooth section of the glass, we won't sell it for full price. If it is a real manufacturing flaw, like this sounds like, we won't sell it at all. (Yes, most of my home carboys have large bubbles in the smooth area, but I feel the inside with a racking-cane, to be sure they are smooth on the inside.)

We don't like the risk, selling a flawed 5 (or larger) gallon glass bottle.

Yes, I'd take it back!

steve

skou said:
If you come to the store I work at, we check EVERY SINGLE carboy, before it ever leaves our store. Even if it is a bubble in the smooth section of the glass, we won't sell it for full price. If it is a real manufacturing flaw, like this sounds like, we won't sell it at all. (Yes, most of my home carboys have large bubbles in the smooth area, but I feel the inside with a racking-cane, to be sure they are smooth on the inside.)

We don't like the risk, selling a flawed 5 (or larger) gallon glass bottle.

Yes, I'd take it back!

steve

True that could come back in the form of a lawsuit.

Alright folks. Thanks for straightening me out. I got a new one. They were cool about it like I knew they would be. unfortunateley they only had 3 6 gallons in stock, and all 3 had the same issue.

So I got a 5 and a refund. Guess it is time to learn to trust the blow-off tube... :D

knights of Gambrinus said:
Alright folks. Thanks for straightening me out. I got a new one. They were cool about it like I knew they would be. unfortunateley they only had 3 6 gallons in stock, and all 3 had the same issue.

So I got a 5 and a refund. Guess it is time to learn to trust the blow-off tube... :D

If apfelwein is the batch, then you should be OK. I've done 3 batches in a 5g with no issues.

There is vigorous fermentation but no krausen.

olllllo said:
If apfelwein is the batch, then you should be OK. I've done 3 batches in a 5g with no issues.

There is vigorous fermentation but no krausen.

Yep, use Montrachet wine yeast and you'll be golden. I do it all the time with my 5 gallon Better Bottles.

yeah, I know the apfelwein will be fine, I was thinking of when I get back to brewing beer...

unless of course I do this again!

far out! :fro:

Back