Looking for clear 7-8 gallon bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1k3

Reaction score
I am looking for my dream fermentation vessel. The good part is that I know exactly what I want, I just don't know where to get it.

I like the size and shape of the 7.9 wine primary fermentation buckets. They are shorter tan my 6.5 gallon buckets and have more head space. Also, they are easy to drill and mount a spigot so I don't have to syphon.

But my 6.5 gallon buckets are made of plastic that is semi-transparent. I really like to see the kroysen ring and when the yeast flocks.

Has anyone seen this dream bucket for sale?

Look at the 6gal. #SI-6000 SafTice bucket online or at your local restaurant store. Unfortunately they aren't available in larger sizes but they are nice and clear. Perhaps one of them would work for you in conjunction with a little FermCap.

Look at the 6gal. #SI-6000 SafTice bucket online or at your local restaurant store. Unfortunately they aren't available in larger sizes but they are nice and clear. Perhaps one of them would work for you in conjunction with a little FermCap.

I like the clear plastic but as you said the volume is a little small for a 5 gallon batch.

Also, it's a bit tall and thin to work in my fermentation fridge.... And the side is not smooth at the point where I'd drill to install a spigot.

This is what I have now. I can do 15 or 20 gallons in 3 or 4 buckets. I don't really want to use less/larger vessels since that makes them harder to move. And I like the 1:1 racking to kegs.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403365831.243706.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewcraft makes a clear (or just about clear) fermenting bucket that holds 8 gallons, it has the liters and gallons marked on the bucket in raised letters, I have 6 of them.
Here is what they look like:
412grY-4X2L._SX425_.jpg

41t9hOcGduL.jpg

31ZULvT4dwL._SX425_.jpg

That might just be it! Thanks pumpkinman2012.

I'll check it out.

Brewcraft makes a clear (or just about clear) fermenting bucket that holds 8 gallons, it has the liters and gallons marked on the bucket in raised letters, I have 6 of them.
Here is what they look like:
412grY-4X2L._SX425_.jpg

41t9hOcGduL.jpg

31ZULvT4dwL._SX425_.jpg

I have several of these, and I love them! The handles feel sort of flimsy at first, and I was worried about hauling them full, but I've had one about 4 or 5 years, and it has been fine so I bought some more.

I use them for wine primary as well as for beer. You can see the krausen and the krausen ring, but otherwise they are pretty opaque.

I couldn't find the dimensions online. Can you tell me how tall and wide they are (at the widest point with the lid on)?

Thanks!

The 7.9 gallon wine primary bucket that I have is 15 7/8" (without air lock).

One more question about the Brewcraft bucket....
The threads on the bucket... do standard spigots thread in to the bucket without the plastic back nut ?

Have you seen the new 6.5 gallon big mouth bubblers?

They come in plastic and glass. They are essentially carboys with a very wide opening... large enough to get your arm inside.

I love how clear the plastic Big Mouth Bubbler is but it appears to be too tall and thin for my fridge.

While the glass 6.5 gallon version is only 17 5/8" tall, the plastic version is 23".
Also, it appear that the lower "antiflex ring" would make it impossible to drill and add a spigot.

Hmmm are the speidels too opaque for you?

From this photo I found online the Speidel Plastic Tanks are clear enough.
I'll have to look at the sizes. I was trying to keep 1 bucket to 1 keg but that 60L sure looks nice for 10 gallons of beer.

IMG_5935.jpg

Back