keggle to plate chiller - connection question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BullGator

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So piece by piece I'm slowly getting there. Got some used kegs, drilled them out, got a SS bulkhead kit with a SS valve and SS camlock coming out of keg. I now have a plate chiller coming in the mail but I need to get some more connectors and tubing so I can actually use it. I really like my camlock fittings so I'd like to stay with those. But I eventually will get a pump so I figure I might get those fittings now too. So I drew it all out and I need like 6 camlock males, 6 camlock females, 6 barb ends to attach my hose, another valve, and the hose. I don't have my sketch in front so I probably got those numbers wrong but the point is, I'm spending more on the connectors than on the plate chiller! WTF?

When I get to work, I'll take a picture of my sketch and upload.

limulus said:
This setup uses camlocks and seems to work pretty well. When my chiller finally arrives, I'm going to use basically the same setup along with Bobby_M's thermometer fitting
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/plate-chiller-setup-330694/#post4418535

Thanks for the link! Now I'm definitely doing the 'T' so I can add a thermometer on the plate chiller out.

For what its worth, here's my sketch.

ForumRunner_20121106_124809.jpg

Yeah Jeebas has the whole thing laid out in that thread complete with part numbers. I even went to HD to buy the garden hose parts. There was a series of photos from another guy that were also very similar but his photos are suddenly gone.

Yea, I am using Herms so I have the thermometer on the herms output coil during mashing and sparging. Then when I start to cool all I have to do is move the thermometer to the output on the chiller. It didn't feel economical buying another whole thermometer. Plus the digital gives you a faster reading, so you can make adjustments better.

Did you buy that same digital thermometer listed there?

No, I have a Thermapen, but I think I am going to buy that other digital thermometer too. It is available from quite a few places including the one named after a river. I did buy the port and quite a few other things from Bobby

limulus said:
No, I have a Thermapen, but I think I am going to buy that other digital thermometer too. It is available from quite a few places including the one named after a river. I did buy the port and quite a few other things from Bobby

I looked at the one they listed and it says it reads in like 6 to 8 sec. Thermoworks has a similar one that reads a bit faster for a few bucks more. Have you looked at that one?

No, I have not, but I think that once it is displaying a temp, the changes are quicker than 6-8 secs and it will be left in the on position and inserted into the fitting on the chiller. I really think this one is a nice deal. I have an assortment of good thermometers including the thermapen, a Cole Parmer Lab thermometer and even a laser thermometer. But, I'm going to buy one of these for my chiller (it's only $14) and just keep it with my chiller:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021AEAG2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

DSC_0091.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
limulus said:
No, I have not, but I think that once it is displaying a temp, the changes are quicker than 6-8 secs and it will be left in the on position and inserted into the fitting on the chiller. I really think this one is a nice deal. I have an assortment of good thermometers including the thermapen, a Cole Parmer Lab thermometer and even a laser thermometer. But, I'm going to buy one of these for my chiller (it's only $14) and just keep it with my chiller:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021AEAG2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I was thinking about buying of amazon too but I have to get the thing that allows me to connect the thermometer to the Tee from the brewhardware site anyways. It is $17 on there so rather than pay shipping both places, I'm just going to pay the extra couple bucks and get it from brewhardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put a bimetal thermometer on the output and a 1/4" ball valve to take hydrometer samples without stopping the transfer.

IMG_6110.jpg

I also run off into a grant to catch any hop particles before they reach the chiller.

DSCN1293.jpg

Monster Mash said:
I put a bimetal thermometer on the output and a 1/4" ball valve to take hydrometer samples without stopping the transfer.

I also run off into a grant to catch any hop particles before they reach the chiller.

A grant?

The grant is the vessel that pulls from the lauter tun and then the pump pulls from the grant rather than the lauter tun. It helps in reducing grain bed compaction.

The grant is the vessel that pulls from the lauter tun and then the pump pulls from the grant rather than the lauter tun. It helps in reducing grain bed compaction.

Yes and it also helps in the boil pot so the pump doesn't pull hop debris into the chiller/fermenter.

Latest posts

Back