keg vs kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heathcom

Reaction score
I'm planning a 1/2bbl system in the near future. Would be bigger but space is something I have little of. I've read some information about converting kegs for the HLT, MT and BK but the grain bed can be pretty packed when maximizing the batch. Regular kettles I believe are wider. Kegs are much less expensive but is the cost worth it? Any thoughts or discussions would be greatly appreciated.

The biggest batch that you will be able to yield with a converted keg is 10 gallon.
If you want to do 10 gallons or less then this is the best way to go in my opinion.
A converted keggle is made of 316 SS (better than 304) and is double as thick as most other SS kettles.

Keggles are not ideal mash tuns due to their lack of insulation and small base.
But, I do get the same efficiently with a with 11lbs of grain as I do 25lbs of grain.
Perhaps a 10 gallon Imperial batch may give you a lower efficiently but I haven't ever done one.

HLT doesn't need to that big. On average it takes about 16 gallons of water to do a 10 gallon batch.
But this is separated in stages; so for example you would use 6-8 gallons to strike, refill and heat, use 6-8 gallons to rinse.
I use my original SS kettle that I bought years ago for my extract batches for my HLT, it is only 7 gallons but works great.

All this said, if space is the biggest issue then you may want to take a good look at getting stock pots that can stack inside each other.
For example get a 30 gallon mash tun, 20 gallon boil kettle, and a 10 gallon HLT. Then stack them inside each other for storage.
Aluminum stock pots are pretty cheap and work fine once you season them well. SS will cost you a small fortune.

I just bought a SS 25 gallon kettle and it only holds 23.5 gallons. Since the pot is so wide each gallon takes up around 3/4" not leaving a lot of room for expansion. The dimensions given usually include the handles which make it seem larger than it is.

So ask for actual interior dimensions and then go to this link: http://merrycuss.com/calc/kettle_volume.html

if you're using a false bottom, the grain packing shouldn't be an issue honestly... i've done a 20lb grain bill for a 5 gallon batch in a keggle with a 9" false bottom.

If that scares you, you can go with a jaybird false bottom with supports that goes across the whole bottom of the keggle. just some ideas :mug: just run off slow if it starts to scare ya :)

Not a fan of keggles! Too heavy and oddly shaped for a kettle IMHO....I know lots of people love them, I guess the upside is COST,

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The biggest batch that you will be able to yield with a converted keg is 10 gallon.
If you want to do 10 gallons or less then this is the best way to go in my opinion.
A converted keggle is made of 316 SS (better than 304) and is double as thick as most other SS kettles.

Keggles are not ideal mash tuns due to their lack of insulation and small base.
But, I do get the same efficiently with a with 11lbs of grain as I do 25lbs of grain.
Perhaps a 10 gallon Imperial batch may give you a lower efficiently but I haven't ever done one.

HLT doesn't need to that big. On average it takes about 16 gallons of water to do a 10 gallon batch.
But this is separated in stages; so for example you would use 6-8 gallons to strike, refill and heat, use 6-8 gallons to rinse.
I use my original SS kettle that I bought years ago for my extract batches for my HLT, it is only 7 gallons but works great.

All this said, if space is the biggest issue then you may want to take a good look at getting stock pots that can stack inside each other.
For example get a 30 gallon mash tun, 20 gallon boil kettle, and a 10 gallon HLT. Then stack them inside each other for storage.
Aluminum stock pots are pretty cheap and work fine once you season them well. SS will cost you a small fortune.

Good info. Im looking to go fron 5 to 10 gallon batches. 10 ending gallons is the biggest batch can get? I usually boil off a gallon or less in a 60 minute boil, so couldn't i squeeze 13 gallons in the boil keggle and end with 12 or would that be too sketchy?

Good info. Im looking to go fron 5 to 10 gallon batches. 10 ending gallons is the biggest batch can get? I usually boil off a gallon or less in a 60 minute boil, so couldn't i squeeze 13 gallons in the boil keggle and end with 12 or would that be too sketchy?

I use keggles and my boil off is about 1.5 gallons. I've boiled 13.5 to end up with 12 but I used fermcap to reduce chances of a boil over. Not sure I'd do a batch that big without fermcap.

If you convert a keg I would recommend a sight glass. Because of the reduced opening steam can limit visibility of the top of the liquid/volume measurement. In cold weather you will have zero viability. I like the size and durability of the keg but a stock pot is easier to clean and move around.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Home Brew mobile app

My boil-off is the same at about 1.5 gallons per hour. I also loose about 0.5 gallons due to hop trub on average.
I start the boil at 12 gallons, I have to be very careful to avoid boil over but with a keen eye it can be done.

To end up with a 12 gallon batch you have to start the boil with about 14 gallons in a 15.5 gallon kettle.
Even with fermcap it will be hard to avoid a boil over.

Would a 20 gallon kettle, and 2 keggles be the best system then if you wanted to end with 11 gallons in the fermenter? Would the 2 keggles be able to "keep up" as a Mash Tun and Hot Liquor Tank with the 20 gallon kettle?

Would a 20 gallon kettle, and 2 keggles be the best system then if you wanted to end with 11 gallons in the fermenter? Would the 2 keggles be able to "keep up" as a Mash Tun and Hot Liquor Tank with the 20 gallon kettle?

That would work well.

I have made plenty of 10 gallon batches in keggle, no need to buy a 20 gallon pot.

I have made plenty of 10 gallon batches in keggle, no need to buy a 20 gallon pot.

How about 11 gallon? I usually shoot for at least 5.5 gallon for 5 gallon batches because you usually leave a little in the carboy so you're not sucking up trub, and to account for blowoff, dry hopping loss. Of course ending with 9 gallons is still better than 5 I guess!

Here are the constants that I used with my system:

Grain Absorption 0.14 gallons per lbs.
Water Evaporation 1.25 gallons per hour
Mash 0.32 gallons per lbs.
hop Absorption 0.40 gallons per oz.

Disclaimer: this works for my system, yours may be different.

So lets say I want 10 gallons in the fermentor with 3oz of hops and 1hour boil:
My starting boil volume will be 12.45 gallons, this is doable in a keggle.

Now lets say I want 10 gallons in the fermentor with 5oz of hops and a 90 minute boil:
My starting boil volume is now at 13.88 gallons, I would only attempt this with fermcap.

Back