Indoor brewers - Rangehoods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhermetz

Reaction score
I've just completed my second brewday with my new E-Kettle. I have a growing problem though. The amount of boil off is insanely hard to control!

I have a range hood above the pot but it still pools up really badly and ends up dripping back into the pot or on the floor making a mess.

Do you guys experience the same thing and just deal with it or is there some solution to this I'm missing?

Vornado... I was fortunate to get one for a good price from woot, mine has a clip so I clip it to a cabinet door and point it at the kettle. I brewed twice before that in my apt before I got the fan, it was almost as if I had stepped into a rain forest. With the fan blowing all the hot air away I have no more condensate problems.

My buddy and I do occasional extract batches in his kitchen during the depths of winter, just to help supplement the pipeline. We have the same drippy condensation problem. I can usually control it by giving the bottom edge of the hood a swipe with a kitchen towel, but it requires constant monitoring to keep stuff from dripping into the brewpot. He has one of those stupid exhaust fans that just vent right back over the stove, not out through the wall. I like the Vornado idea - I'll have to try that next winter.

Can you tell us a little more about your setup ? how many gallons ? gas or electric ( not sure what an E-Kettle is ) , most likely a CFM issue ... can you post a picture ?

I have the same problem, but it's in my garage - I am getting a lot of condensation on the ceiling and end up with a rainforest by the time the boil is finished. I would like a solution that doesn't involve a fan blowing or sucking dust into my brew kettle but haven't figured that out yet.

Setupbrewing.jpg

Rangehood is right above the kettle. Thats in the basement doing 6 gallon boils down to 5 gallons.

E-Kettle = Electric Kettle.

P1030983.jpg

Back