I really need a new kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarsonLE

Reaction score
So when I switched to all grain, my 5.5 gallon kettle just isn't cutting it anymore. I will usually end up with 7 gallons of wort, which means I have to throw away 2 gallons; something I do not want to deal with anymore. Can anyone tell me if it is worth moving up to 10+ gallon batches? Or should I just buy this 8 gallon kettle, and continue doing 5 gallon batches? I love the thought of having the ball valve as well as the built in thermometer just to make life easier. Anyone have any suggestions?

That link takes me to some kegging setup, but regardless I would suggest that you get no smaller than a 10 Gallon kettle. I have 12.5 and still get close to boilovers sometimes on my 5g batches. Check out instawares.com, I got my Aluminum kettle from them a couple of years for about $65 shipped.

As far as moving up to 10g batches, it really depends on how much beer you think you will go through. I personally like doing 5g batches because I have more variety of Beer around and I can brew more often. The latter being the most important for me. I brew every other weekend, at that pace I can pretty much keep all four of my taps pouring fresh beer. If I lived closer to town and had people over more often that might be a different story, but I live 30 miles from town. So people don't make the trek out here too often.

That link takes me to some kegging setup, but regardless I would suggest that you get no smaller than a 10 Gallon kettle. I have 12.5 and still get close to boilovers sometimes on my 5g batches. Check out instawares.com, I got my Aluminum kettle from them a couple of years for about $65 shipped.

As far as moving up to 10g batches, it really depends on how much beer you think you will go through. I personally like doing 5g batches because I have more variety of Beer around and I can brew more often. The latter being the most important for me. I brew every other weekend, at that pace I can pretty much keep all four of my taps pouring fresh beer. If I lived closer to town and had people over more often that might be a different story, but I live 30 miles from town. So people don't make the trek out here too often.

I'm just curious how you get boilovers with a 12.5 gallon kettle when doing 5 gallon batches. I do appreciate your thoughts on brewing 5 gallon batches. I think I'm with you on that one, I don't know if I could go through 10 gallons of beer since I live not too close to anyone.

I'm just curious how you get boilovers with a 12.5 gallon kettle when doing 5 gallon batches. I do appreciate your thoughts on brewing 5 gallon batches. I think I'm with you on that one, I don't know if I could go through 10 gallons of beer since I live not too close to anyone.

It's just right at the beginning during the hot break, it will foam all the way up to the top of the pot. Close but never actually spills over. Once I get my bittering hops in there, the foam breaks down and I can boil like crazy.

Yankeehillbrewer said:
It's just right at the beginning during the hot break, it will foam all the way up to the top of the pot. Close but never actually spills over. Once I get my bittering hops in there, the foam breaks down and I can boil like crazy.

I have the same thing happen in my keggle, crazy how much foam can build up in a very short amount of time. I just stir like crazy to keep it at bay.

Deffinately get a bigger pot. That way, if you ever do decide to make a ten gallon batch you'll have the capability with out having to make another significant investment.

You can easily do 5 gallon batch in a larger kettle but it's nice to be able to jump to a 10 gallon for your favorite recipies. I have a keggle and do mostly 5 gallon batches just to have variety and tweak my recipes. I just had my first boil over in my keggle last weekend, it was just crazy foam all over at the hot break like Yankeehillbrewer said. Keep a spray bottle of water handy.

If you use propane I would highly recomend a keggle, it's fun and easy to modify and customize to what you want. And it can be real affordable if you get a deal on the keg.

I am also looking to upgrade my kettle, I am thinking either a 15 or 20 gal kettle although I only do 5 gal batches. Most of the time, but that way I will have the capacity to do 10 or 15 gal batches if I have to for special events like weddings or graduations.

I have a 8 gal which I got from Instawares.com ... def check them out, but 12-15G is in my future when I goto 10G batches..

Back