How to Sanitize a Therminator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm starting to use my Therminator after finally getting it clean enough to trust.

I have my Kettle drain going to a March pump intake, then through my Therminator. I would like to run boiling wort through and back into the boiling kettle to sanitize before cooling.

Trouble is I can't get the pump to work with boiling wort. Will a March pump work with boiling wort? If so how do I set things up? Do I need one line or the other lower than the pump?

Recircing may not be a good idea. What kind of pre-chiller screen are you using?

You may not need a march pump after the kettle. I hear gravity works just fine.

If you're having problems with the march, search "priming march pump" and that'll get you started. It's a weird piece of gear, but once you figure it out it'll work well enough.

Thanks Steve, I don't have any screen right now. I have a piece of 1/2 inch copper with an elbow going down to about 1/2 inch up from the bottom of my kettle. I tried to use a Stainless scrubber pad as a strainer, but it gave me more trouble than it was worth so I don't use anything. I use pellet hops in a hop sack. That has kept down the debris. But last batch the damn sack got stuck in the drain and gave me one hell of a time. Probably ruined the batch jacking around getting it out.

Trouble with gravity is that would leave my cooled wort too low to get into a Carboy.

You could use a steam cleaner. they work great on all your hoses and fittings. $ 79.00 for a new one on ebay.

I have baked and boiled my Therminator. But there is time between the sanitizing and my next brew. Seems like I would want to sanitize right before use.

I also have a Chill Wizard that I plan to use. It is a very nice piece of equipment, but the Therminator is hard mounted inside the case. Therefore not easily removed for baking or boiling.

After reading more from the suggested Search, it looks like I can sanitize by flowing 200 degree wort before boil. Would that be a possible solution? As my wort is going from 200* to boil start pump and flow back into pot. After a couple minutes shut off pump and cap outlet letting wort set in pump and chiller until boil is complete. Then pump into boil kettle while adjusting chiller temp. Or will the "Un boiled" wort left in the pump and chiller going into the boiled wort cause trouble?

I haven't used mine yet, but what I was planning on doing was pumping 4-5 gallons of StarSan solution through it from my (clean) mash tun and into the fermenter, then hooking the pump up to the kettle after dumping the sanitizer out of the fermenter.

I've been recirculating boiling wort with my March for about 10 min before flame out. I also make it a point to flush and back flush it after use and unbolt it, drop it in a star san bucket and drain it and let it sit until next brew. If you can't remove it, just recirculate some star san through it like Buford says. I haven't had any problems.

I have a home-built cfc, but I also use march809 to pump boiling wort through it for the last five minutes of the boil, with the return hose just pointing into the kettle.
When I'm done brewing, I use a hose and a qd-to-tube connector I rigged to shoot a ton of water through it in the opposite direction of the wort flow, rinsing it well, then I'll pump hot pbw solution through it (cleaning all pumps and hoses and such at once), and then rinse again, and then fill it up with starsan (pumping from keg) and clamp the outflow tube to keep it filled with starsan until next brew session.

I made one tubing section with a qd and the thrumometer, and the one that goes from my wort qd to a hose qd for flushing, so I just attach what I need when I need it.

Back