Hermaphrodite Stainless Couplers - who sells?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msexton

Reaction score
Looking for the couplers that were half female thread and half male thread.I bought a few of these a while ago and can't remember who sold them. I checked my regular vendors: Brewhardware, Brewers Hardware, Bargain fittings but can't seem to find them. Anyone out there know?

Thanks,
Mike

Brewers' Hardware had these at one point. I wanted to get them when I originally designed my system, so I have a note written on a piece of paper, which I'm looking at right now, to remind me that they have them. I just checked their website and don't see them. Good thing I decided to go with something else! Maybe give them a call or email to ask what's going on...

I think he's talking about a coupler. Instead of having female threads on both ends, it has female on one end and male on the other. Imagine a fitting that's half coupler and half nipple.

msexton- If you can't find them and really need them, let me know. I can make them for you.

So he wants to go large female to small male? I have seen them, but they tend to be expensive (and sometimes even more than using a reducing socket + hex nipple).

If he's thinking what I'm thinking, both are 1/2". I could be totally wrong, though. This fitting did exist at one point, but seems to have disappeared.

Yep, Kevink nailed it 1/2" female ftp inside and rest of the coupler was lathed to be 1/2" male ftp.

Thanks Kevink. I emailed Derrin at Brewers Hardware and he said they will be back in stock in about 10 days.

Anyone find where you can buy these? Looking for one with a smooth wall on the OD of the FPT side so they can be welded to a pot without any lathe cleanup work.

Yeah, saw those, but the female side has a step, and then two boss' and lettering on the OD. I thought I saw some with a nice uniform close to polished OD.

Yes, welding. That's why I want a nice clean OD.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am not convinced that what you're looking for exists, usually it won't be finished in that way, because you'll typically want to get a wrench on them. I'd ask your welder or machine shop about turning the gnarly ones.

Back