Flushing mason jars with co2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PasbitinusBluinusRibbinus

Reaction score
Is there a procedure for flushing mason jars with co2 for hop storage? Is it enough to just hold the valve from a quick disconnect inside the jar and seal it?

Thanks.

it's heavier than air and a jar is a small volume so you should be ok doing it that way. i like the vacuum bag for hop storage.

hard telling if that will be as effective but i sure would like to know just out of curiosity. for me a vacuum sealer works best in terms of space and ease of use. i buy hops in 1lb bags so it would be lots of work fitting all of that into jars. the vacuum sealer was something like $10-15 on craigslist, they might be $40-90 brand new.

So...you buy a pound and seal it in a single bag? Smaller bags? I have a vacuum sealer, but often opening and sealing bags creates a lot of waste

So...you buy a pound and seal it in a single bag? Smaller bags? I have a vacuum sealer, but often opening and sealing bags creates a lot of waste

no, i have bags of various sizes i use to break down the pound. i reuse the bags as i use the hops in any given bag. i've bought bags twice in at least that many years from amazon.

Back