Fermenter Swelling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoellhorn82

Reaction score
I currently have a wine fermenting in my basement that I was not sure if it was fermenting since there was no activity in the airlock, but i did smell the sourdough bread aroma that comes from wine yeast. I went to the store and picked up another packet of yeast, rehydrated, and pitched. This wine is definately fermenting but there is absolutley no activity in the air lock and the bucket and lid seems to be swelling. Before you ask, I checked twice that i didnt have a plugged airlock. The wine is sitting 4 in below the lid. Anyone have this happen? It just seems physically impossible for this to happen.

Try burping it. Open the top a tiny bit and see if you have a rush of air coming out. I know you said you don't have a clogged airlock, but if there's no activity and you have swelling, then pressure must be building up somehow.

I tried that last night and man was it a mistake to smell that pure CO2. My nose was burning for an hour. I dont use this for beer anymore but do remeber it happening when i used it on a scotch ale. WTF.

Sounds as if you do have a plugged air lock. Check the small holes in the snap on lid of the air lock to be certain that they aren't plugged. I have lost one of these lids and now place a canning jar upside down over the air lock just to keep dust out and any explosive fermentation from hitting the top of my freezer.

Burp it as suggested.... I had a Kolsch recently pop its top,,, stuck airloc, my roomate saw it but did not know he should release the gas...

As long as you have OVER-PREASURE from the CO2 coming out of the wine you are unlikely to get "beasties" in it.

In fact if you can monitor it you can leave it cracked open and close it when you see the fermentation slow down...

I sometime don't use an airlock... I soak a Brew-Rag in Star San,,, rinse it out, and toss it over the top... sort-of open fermentation,,, later I put a top on...

Back