Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Duda Diesel - 30 Plate Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #21
Kmcogar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm looking at one of these right now. Which one should I get? Should I get one with the fittings on it?

Also, I do 5 gallon batches as of right now. It's say it will chill 10 gallons in 12 minutes. so will it only take 6 minutes to chill mine.

It take over 29 minutes for me now, so 6 minutes would be awesome

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #22
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

What do you do to filter hops, trub, ext... From the clogging the chiller?

Old 07-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #23
Landshark67
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmcogar
I'm looking at one of these right now. Which one should I get? Should I get one with the fittings on it?

Also, I do 5 gallon batches as of right now. It's say it will chill 10 gallons in 12 minutes. so will it only take 6 minutes to chill mine.

It take over 29 minutes for me now, so 6 minutes would be awesome

If you are going to stick with 5-10 gallon batches then the 30 plate chiller is probably a good option. Also, check out Keg Cowboy.com they have some excellent prices on plate chillers ...not 60 plate versions but lots of others.

Regarding fittings, don't worry about it. You can buy fittings at HD or Lowes for about the same price.

Chill times are based on source water temp and then adjusted for plate surface contact. I'm in Michigan where the ground water is 56-58F year round. You could use an ice water bath in a kettle to recirculate from. Saves water. I have access to a well so it's not a factor.

Brew on

Old 07-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #24
Landshark67
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mux
What do you do to filter hops, trub, ext... From the clogging the chiller?

My two choices are Hopback - whole hops in a small pot with false bottom. Or, if you don't want to use hops then a paint strainer (sanitized) can act as a good filter pre-chiller. wrap the false bottom with strainer and press into the bottom of the pot. Then let the kettle wort flow into the pot and drain to the chiller.

The BH hop blocker is another option but there are varying opinions on its effectiveness.

Sometimes the choice of how best to filter out break material is how much extra equipment cleaning you feel like doing at the end of a long brew day. I choose to filter because I like to reharvest yeast with minimal hop matter. Otherwise, I have yet to notice a difference in beers with or without hops and trub going into the fermenter.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #25
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark67

If you are going to stick with 5-10 gallon batches then the 30 plate chiller is probably a good option. Also, check out Keg Cowboy.com they have some excellent prices on plate chillers ...not 60 plate versions but lots of others.

Regarding fittings, don't worry about it. You can buy fittings at HD or Lowes for about the same price.

Chill times are based on source water temp and then adjusted for plate surface contact. I'm in Michigan where the ground water is 56-58F year round. You could use an ice water bath in a kettle to recirculate from. Saves water. I have access to a well so it's not a factor.

Brew on
Any suggestions on duda diesel verse shirron?

http://www.homebrewing.org/Shirron-P...ler_p_844.html

($89, 10 plates but longer plates)

http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_ite...id=HX1230BWGHF

($80, 30 plates)

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #26
jclucca
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmcogar View Post
Any suggestions on duda diesel verse shirron?

http://www.homebrewing.org/Shirron-P...ler_p_844.html

($89, 10 plates but longer plates)

http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_ite...id=HX1230BWGHF

($80, 30 plates)
I'd take the short 30 plate over the Shirron all day. I would also step up to the longer 20 plate (well, I did at least). My only regret is not doing the long 30 plate, but the 20 works great.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #27
Kmcogar
Recipes 

So the longer 20 plate says it will chill 10 gallons of wort in 7 minutes! That's pretty sweet. I only brew 5 gallons right now so would that only take me 3 1/2 minutes? That would be well......awesome

Old 07-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #28
jclucca
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmcogar View Post
So the longer 20 plate says it will chill 10 gallons of wort in 7 minutes! That's pretty sweet. I only brew 5 gallons right now so would that only take me 3 1/2 minutes? That would be well......awesome
I have used my long 20 plate chiller on 3 brews now, and it is... awesome. It does take me longer than 3 1/3 minutes for a 5 gallon batch, though - your ground temp will dictate how slow you need to flow through the chiller.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #29
Landshark67
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclucca View Post
I'd take the short 30 plate over the Shirron all day. I would also step up to the longer 20 plate (well, I did at least). My only regret is not doing the long 30 plate, but the 20 works great.
+1

My suggestion is to go with the longer plates and at least a 20.....my motto is buy as much as you can afford so you can avoid needing to upgrade later.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #30
jCOSbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Also have the long 20 plate and it works great. I opted for the 1/2" MPT fittings for use with camlocks or other quick connections. The Garden hose to MPT fittings are only a couple bucks each at HD or lowes. Also using the camlocks or similar allows you to to easily reconfigure from wort cooling mode to backflush cleaning mode.

Quick Reply