Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Which do you think is my fermenting temp
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
IPAAAA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: ca
Posts: 456
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default Which do you think is my fermenting temp

So my fermenting chamber is basically a big trash can w/lid and my fermenter inside of it with water filled to about halfway. I then have frozen water bottles that I change out.

I have a floating thermometer in there and I also have a temp strip applied to my plastic fermenting bucket.

The water temp says 50 degrees but the sticker shows at about 68 degrees. What do you think the temp is inside the fermenter? I am thinking it is about 70 degrees but I am unsure how the water temp and inside fermenting temp could be so far off.

__________________
IPAAAA is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 07:07 AM   #2
plaidpaint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 94
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Yeah, if they're in contact with one another, they should be reading the same temperature. I don't really understand fahrenheit temperatures, so I don't know which one's better though . Maybe just assume the worst for now, then check them against each other when the batch is done.

__________________
plaidpaint is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,362
Liked 480 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Fermentation is an exothermic reaction, meaning that the yeast give off heat. So the temp of your beer is going to be higher than the water outside the fermenter. So, I'd say your in the upper 60's, or maybe the lower 70's depending on if the stick on fermenter is being cooled at all by the water. If you really want to know, crack the fermenter open and check the temp with a sanitized thermometer.

__________________
ChshreCat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 07:30 AM   #4
IPAAAA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: ca
Posts: 456
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Fermentation is an exothermic reaction, meaning that the yeast give off heat. So the temp of your beer is going to be higher than the water outside the fermenter. So, I'd say your in the upper 60's, or maybe the lower 70's depending on if the stick on fermenter is being cooled at all by the water. If you really want to know, crack the fermenter open and check the temp with a sanitized thermometer.
I understand that and have also wondered if the water was helping throw off the stick on temp gauge. It is probably about a 1/2in to an inch about the water level of the trash can.

This is the first time I am using the stick on temp and before I would just go by the water temp and guessed the inside temp was 5 degrees higher so that is why this is throwing me off a bit now since the water temp shows at about 50 and based off my previous fermenting that would mean a inside temp of 55 and that is no buenos.

Definitely don't think it is 50 inside though based off what the sticker is showing. I would think it would be more accurate then just the floating thermometer.

I really need a spare fridge so I don't have to worry about this anymore.
__________________
IPAAAA is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
malkore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
malkore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 6,922
Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPAAAA View Post
I understand that and have also wondered if the water was helping throw off the stick on temp gauge. It is probably about a 1/2in to an inch about the water level of the trash can.
you cannot submerse those stick-on thermometers. there's a sandwiched layer of temperature sensitive material between two pieces of plastic. Soak it in water and they'll pull apart and ruin your thermometer.

I'm not even sure the thermo is reading properly at this point.

they can get splashed, but they can't be dunked.
__________________
Malkore
Primary: English Mild
On tap: Pale Ale, Lancelot's Wheat, English Brown Ale, Steam Beer, HoovNuts IPA
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10
malkore is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,656
Liked 136 Times on 129 Posts

Default

People (including me) ran tests a few years back and determined that the temperature on the outside of a carboy or bucket was very close to the temperature inside. Either the strip is damaged or the wort has formed layers. At 50F, the yeast wouldn't be active enough to keep the wort mixed. Are you stirring it occasionally?

__________________
david_42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
IPAAAA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: ca
Posts: 456
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
you cannot submerse those stick-on thermometers. there's a sandwiched layer of temperature sensitive material between two pieces of plastic. Soak it in water and they'll pull apart and ruin your thermometer.

I'm not even sure the thermo is reading properly at this point.

they can get splashed, but they can't be dunked.
The stick on thermometer is not submerged. Like I said in a previous post it is about a 1/2 to an inch above the water level in the bucket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
People (including me) ran tests a few years back and determined that the temperature on the outside of a carboy or bucket was very close to the temperature inside. Either the strip is damaged or the wort has formed layers. At 50F, the yeast wouldn't be active enough to keep the wort mixed. Are you stirring it occasionally?
The water temperature shows it is 50 degrees (from the floating thermometer I have in the trash can) and the strip on the actual fermenter which is not in the water is showing about 68-70 degrees.
__________________
IPAAAA is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
broadbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 3,402
Liked 320 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Default

The temp reading on the stick-on fermenter is the temp of your fermenting beer.

__________________
broadbill is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #9
IPAAAA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: ca
Posts: 456
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default

So the water temp on the outside shouldn't be affecting the sticker somehow?

That is what my main question is. Double checked it just now and it looks like the water temp is about 60 and the sticker for the fermenter is showing about a temp of 64.

Do you go by the middle number on the sticker or which color is the one that the temp is closer to? Blue or brown?

__________________
IPAAAA is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #10
broadbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 3,402
Liked 320 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPAAAA View Post
So the water temp on the outside shouldn't be affecting the sticker somehow?
That is what my main question is. Double checked it just now and it looks like the water temp is about 60 and the sticker for the fermenter is showing about a temp of 64.

Do you go by the middle number on the sticker or which color is the one that the temp is closer to? Blue or brown?
The water temp should not be affecting the sticker directly; the temperature of the water bath will modulate the temp of the fermenter, which will be reflected by a change in the on the sticker....does that make sense?

You go by the number in the middle.
__________________
broadbill is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extgernal Temp Control - temp in Freezer? ipscman Equipment/Sanitation 6 12-13-2012 02:48 AM
How to get accurate temp reading of fermenting beer? Superdave Equipment/Sanitation 12 07-21-2009 08:47 PM
Fermenting in a cut off keg. mopo Equipment/Sanitation 2 02-13-2009 03:07 PM
holding temp with temp control roofman70 Equipment/Sanitation 18 10-25-2007 04:38 AM
Fermenting 10g batches AGBrewer Equipment/Sanitation 19 05-31-2007 02:21 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS