Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Which do you think is my fermenting temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
IPAAAA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default Which do you think is my fermenting temp

So my fermenting chamber is basically a big trash can w/lid and my fermenter inside of it with water filled to about halfway. I then have frozen water bottles that I change out.

I have a floating thermometer in there and I also have a temp strip applied to my plastic fermenting bucket.

The water temp says 50 degrees but the sticker shows at about 68 degrees. What do you think the temp is inside the fermenter? I am thinking it is about 70 degrees but I am unsure how the water temp and inside fermenting temp could be so far off.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 07:07 AM   #2
plaidpaint
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, if they're in contact with one another, they should be reading the same temperature. I don't really understand fahrenheit temperatures, so I don't know which one's better though . Maybe just assume the worst for now, then check them against each other when the batch is done.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Fermentation is an exothermic reaction, meaning that the yeast give off heat. So the temp of your beer is going to be higher than the water outside the fermenter. So, I'd say your in the upper 60's, or maybe the lower 70's depending on if the stick on fermenter is being cooled at all by the water. If you really want to know, crack the fermenter open and check the temp with a sanitized thermometer.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:30 AM   #4
IPAAAA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Fermentation is an exothermic reaction, meaning that the yeast give off heat. So the temp of your beer is going to be higher than the water outside the fermenter. So, I'd say your in the upper 60's, or maybe the lower 70's depending on if the stick on fermenter is being cooled at all by the water. If you really want to know, crack the fermenter open and check the temp with a sanitized thermometer.
I understand that and have also wondered if the water was helping throw off the stick on temp gauge. It is probably about a 1/2in to an inch about the water level of the trash can.

This is the first time I am using the stick on temp and before I would just go by the water temp and guessed the inside temp was 5 degrees higher so that is why this is throwing me off a bit now since the water temp shows at about 50 and based off my previous fermenting that would mean a inside temp of 55 and that is no buenos.

Definitely don't think it is 50 inside though based off what the sticker is showing. I would think it would be more accurate then just the floating thermometer.

I really need a spare fridge so I don't have to worry about this anymore.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPAAAA View Post
I understand that and have also wondered if the water was helping throw off the stick on temp gauge. It is probably about a 1/2in to an inch about the water level of the trash can.
you cannot submerse those stick-on thermometers. there's a sandwiched layer of temperature sensitive material between two pieces of plastic. Soak it in water and they'll pull apart and ruin your thermometer.

I'm not even sure the thermo is reading properly at this point.

they can get splashed, but they can't be dunked.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 11-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 129 Posts

People (including me) ran tests a few years back and determined that the temperature on the outside of a carboy or bucket was very close to the temperature inside. Either the strip is damaged or the wort has formed layers. At 50F, the yeast wouldn't be active enough to keep the wort mixed. Are you stirring it occasionally?

Old 11-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
IPAAAA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
you cannot submerse those stick-on thermometers. there's a sandwiched layer of temperature sensitive material between two pieces of plastic. Soak it in water and they'll pull apart and ruin your thermometer.

I'm not even sure the thermo is reading properly at this point.

they can get splashed, but they can't be dunked.
The stick on thermometer is not submerged. Like I said in a previous post it is about a 1/2 to an inch above the water level in the bucket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
People (including me) ran tests a few years back and determined that the temperature on the outside of a carboy or bucket was very close to the temperature inside. Either the strip is damaged or the wort has formed layers. At 50F, the yeast wouldn't be active enough to keep the wort mixed. Are you stirring it occasionally?
The water temperature shows it is 50 degrees (from the floating thermometer I have in the trash can) and the strip on the actual fermenter which is not in the water is showing about 68-70 degrees.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 222

The temp reading on the stick-on fermenter is the temp of your fermenting beer.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #9
IPAAAA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

So the water temp on the outside shouldn't be affecting the sticker somehow?

That is what my main question is. Double checked it just now and it looks like the water temp is about 60 and the sticker for the fermenter is showing about a temp of 64.

Do you go by the middle number on the sticker or which color is the one that the temp is closer to? Blue or brown?

Old 11-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #10
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPAAAA View Post
So the water temp on the outside shouldn't be affecting the sticker somehow?
That is what my main question is. Double checked it just now and it looks like the water temp is about 60 and the sticker for the fermenter is showing about a temp of 64.

Do you go by the middle number on the sticker or which color is the one that the temp is closer to? Blue or brown?
The water temp should not be affecting the sticker directly; the temperature of the water bath will modulate the temp of the fermenter, which will be reflected by a change in the on the sticker....does that make sense?

You go by the number in the middle.

Quick Reply