Different Erlenmeyer Flask Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwain

Reaction score
Just got a newsletter from a LHBS. I can't believe this but apparenly in Texas at least, you have to get a permit to buy a flask. They also need a permit to sell them. Here's the link:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/criminal_law_enforcement/narcotics/narcprecursor.htm

I guess this law was on the books, but now they are enforcing it. I did a search and didn't see this discussion. If someone wants to merge it with the other thread, I'm O.K. with it but I felt the info was different. - Dwain

This is the stupidest thing I have heard for a very long time. Maybe they should require permits for cell phones and internet use also. The war on drugs has gone off the deep end. I think I would move to another state if I had to put up with that crap. This the same kind of thinking that the gun control idiots want to push. The only thing these laws do is punish law abiding citizens. Do you really think the criminals give a rats ass? (that's a general you as in ya'll, not you specifically).

LOL, they also list a transformer! So every electrician has to get a permit from the Narcotics Police?

Wow..... I complain about having to go to the counter to get cough medicine..... But not being allowed to buy some of the things on that list......wow.....

Welcome to Texas
Population: Counting is for commies.
15th Century Thinking or Bust!!!

:drunk:

High school chemistry classes must really suck there.

When flasks are outlawed, only outlaws will have flasks! They will have to pry my flask from my burnt wet and sticky fingers. Will we then need an additional boil over permit? That's the real danger.

While they may begin enforcing this, they have not as yet. I live in Houston, TX and just received my new 2000 ml flask from my favorite TX homebrew supply house. I have no permit to buy, and would be surprised to see that they have a permit to sell.

It is possible that this law will only be enforced selectively. IOW, it might only be used when prosecuting the illicit drug makers found to be in possession of the various paraphernalia listed in the course of a drug bust. I still think laws of this type are idiotic and unnecessary, but then that's the nature of most government actions.

I wonder is Forrest from Austin Homebrew Supply has any information on this?

No, Forrest is in prison serving 25 to life for illegal possession of multiple erlenmeyer flasks. He had been indicted by a Grand Jury on a number of charges including illegal possession and sale of rubber stoppers. His bail has been set at $1,000,000. Should we spring him?

Wow! That IS interesting. Especially, since I am considering a trade for a couple of flasks I have (Not Erlenmeyer, tho)

This caught my attention:

(A) a condenser
(B) a distilling apparatus

Does this apply to those condensers and oil distillers that homebrew supply stores sell??

Also, an ignorant patrolling police office might confuse a wort chiller for a condenser coil. Would give them probable cause to search and seize in some areas.

Edit: when I used the word "ignorant", I meant in the context of not knowing any better. not a negative comment to all police officers.

In the eyes of the law, coils is coils. A chiller could easily be used as a condenser coil. There are other types of flasks on that list. A plate chiller could also fall into the group. I know my neighbors think I'm cooking meth every time I fire up the burners. So far, they haven't called the police on me, but I'm expecting it sooner or later.

In the eyes of the law, coils is coils. A chiller could easily be used as a condenser coil. There are other types of flasks on that list. A plate chiller could also fall into the group. I know my neighbors think I'm cooking meth every time I fire up the burners. So far, they haven't called the police on me, but I'm expecting it sooner or later.

Next time you brew wear a lab coat some rubber gloves,air mask and some safety glasses . And make sure you have some DME or corn sugar out in plastic bags...

We had the cops show up at my nephews apartment seems a guy walking around the complex with a chiller and 5 lb bag of DME looks a lot like a meth operation.

Mine just think I REALLY like deep fried turkey.....they confessed that they were considering putting pamphlets in my mailbox about how bad a deep fried turkey every week was for me.

Mine just think I REALLY like deep fried turkey.....they confessed that they were considering putting pamphlets in my mailbox about how bad a deep fried turkey every week was for me.

Really if its done properly at the right temps and you don't eat the skin its not that much fattier than baked. Once the skin is seared very little oil gets into the turkey. I would eat it every week if I could .We have it once a month I also deep fry a couple of chickens at the same time .

Really if its done properly at the right temps and you don't eat the skin its not that much fattier than baked. Once the skin is seared very little oil gets into the turkey. I would eat it every week if I could .We have it once a month I also deep fry a couple of chickens at the same time .

hmm fried turkey...:rockin:

I want to try fried dove/quail. For some reason the dark meat + peanut oil just sounds awesome to me.

Unfortunately, no fryer, dove, or quail. So no go. :(

hmm fried turkey...:rockin:

I want to try fried dove/quail. For some reason the dark meat + peanut oil just sounds awesome to me.

Unfortunately, no fryer, dove, or quail. So no go. :(

I don't know but I associate a dove with a flying rat the pigeon ... just can't get past it I am sure they both taste great . But then again I have eaten squirrel so who the hell knows

They do not enforce it. I talked to a police officer and they told me to put on the door and where the flaskes are that these flasks are intended for making yeast starters.

We had some guy buy a flask from us and then procede to blow up his house making meth. The police called us because they found a receipt for the flask from us. They just wanted to confirm that it did come from us. I asked if we were in trouble and she said no. That is when she told me about the signage needed.

Forrest

Forrest,
This is cut and pasted from the newsletter:

The Narcotics Division??: Yep, you heard right. Due to changes in Texas law, Erlenmeyer flasks are illegal to sell without a permit. As soon as we found out, we applied for our sales permit. We also thought our screened funnels would be regulated, but the good news is they aren’t. What this means to you is this. We won’t be able to sell you an Erlenmeyer flask, or distilling equipment (condensers), unless you apply to the Narcotics division for a permit too. Then you bring your permit to us and we’ll be able to sell you a flask. Do we agree with the requirement? We don’t, but it’s the law. [LHBS] just received our permit after filling out a simple form. We know it’s a pain in the butt, but don’t let it hold you back. The best thing that can happen is for you to flood them with request from law abiding citizens, and then maybe they’ll realize that it’s just a little silly. After all, I’ll bet the druggies will find a way to get their flask anyway. But relax, have a homebrew. Hakuna Matata.

Apparently, They made them get a permit in San Antonio. Maybe somebody was just having a bad day. - Dwain

LOL, they also list a transformer! So every electrician has to get a permit from the Narcotics Police?

Not to mention just about any device that you plug into the wall, cause they are loaded with chemical laboratory apparatuses! :rolleyes:

Can't filter the trub out of your wort any more either...

Edit: Surprised they missed beaker or graduated cylinder.

Back