Describe your Process and System!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schielke

Reaction score
Hey all, I searched for a thread like this and couldn't find anything, but please point me in the right direction if necessary.

I thought it would be really interesting to see details of how everybody's system/proecss works for brewing an average batch of beer (something like a 1.055/25 IBU pale). Ideally, you go step by step from "Hmmm, I should brew something" to "Ahhhhh".

Please discuss any pros/cons with it and any upgrades/changes you are considering.

Finally, no need to try and impress anybody here, talk about how you actually brew beer on an average basis.

Let's see your process!

-------------------------

Ok, so here goes mine:

Recipe Formulation and Ingredients:
I have a spreadsheet of all the BJCP styles in a priority ranked grouping of my interest level. I'll take a spin though that and see if I feel inspired...or I'll decide to brew another version of the house pale if I am running low. I'll work it out with my brew buddies to see if they have any other ideas and we'll pick the style starting point.

From here, we'll look around for recipes in some of our books as a starting point and then either tweak it if we are trying to get something different or go ahead and brew to syle or a specific recipe depending on the mood.

I'll then mock up the recipe in Beer Tools and get our shopping list together. A few days before hand ill drop by the LHBS to get ingredients (5 min away).

Pre-Brew:

If I am using liquid yeast, ill make a starter the night before. I don't have a flask right now, so I boil up the starter wort in a pot, cool it, and put it in a huge sanitized a glass jar covered with foil and pitch once the temp is right.

Brew:

1. Toss the Starter in the fridge to settle out some yeast so I can pour off the top before pitching.

2. Turn on the turkey fryer on the porch and put my Brew Kettle (7.5 gal stainless pot, no valve) with the strike water (w/ PH 5.2) on to heat.

3. Pour a quart or two of boiling water into my Cooler MLT (42qt rectangular w/ cpvc manifold) and heat it up.

4. Pour in my strike water once it has reached temp. I use a crappy digital probe thermometer for all these measurements.

5. Check the strike water temp and adjust if necessary, if not, pour in my grain and stir it up. Check temp, adjust w/ hot water addition if necessary.

6. Wait. Clean other stuff. Make up bucket of sanitizer for spoons, thermometer, airlock, etc... Get Mash-out Water heating in my Boil Kettle.

7. Mash out by running water through sparge system (bottling bucket sitting on top of cooler plugged into sparge manifold in lid)

8. Heat up Sparge Water in Boil Kettle. Pour into Bottling Bucket for sparge.

9. Hook up tubing to MLT outlet valve and into boil kettle.

9. Fly Sparge over the course of about 30-50 min. Match input flow to output flow as much as possible.

10. Near end of sparge, check gravity of runnings, stop when boil kettle is at desired fill or when runnings get below 1.010. Remember to adjust for temp. Return sample to boil kettle.

11. Bring wort to boil, cover with screen to keep out random stuff dropping from trees.

12. Clean MLT; sanitize plastic fermenting bucket w/ Star San.

13. Whole hops added in muslin bags; pellets direct to wort. Irish moss added here too.

14. Put immersion chiller (basic 25' chiller hooked to hose water) in boil 15 min before finish.

15. Flame out and turn on chiller water. Stir gently.

16. Take sample w/ sanitized wine thief and measure OG. Adjust for temp. Record in Beer Tools.

17. Once chiller gets wort to 80 deg or so (depending on weather), transfer to Plastic Bucket Fermenter. We have tried siphoning off the top and pouring through a strainer, no common practice here. If the wort is cool enough, we'll also pour the starter or dry yeast in while transferring.

Ferment:

1. If ferment fridge doesn't have lager in it, move to fridge. Temp probe checks ambient air for to match it to desired temp. Set temp in mid 60s depending on beer. If fridge is unavailable, bucket goes in boil kettle filled with cool water/ice in guest bathroom tub...adjust ice as necessary to keep roughly in temp range.

2. Check on it like a sleeping newborn. Enjoy bubbling action.

3. When bubbling subsides, take sample with sanitized wine thief and check FG. Rejoice or Fret.

4. Sit a few more days.

Delivery: :mug:

1. Rack off to sanitized Corny Keg.

2. Force Carb to proper level. I normally keep it hooked up to the tank for a few days then remove and

occasionally reattach to bring back up to pressure.

3. Sample...

4. Sample...

5. Yay!

Thoughts on system/process:

I am at a point where I am pretty happy with the beer, but need to improve consistency of our process.

We are a bit rough on hitting temps when mashing and our ferm temp is not always controlled as accurately as it could be. It also seems that taking samples throughout the process is unwieldy.

I would like to make the following equipment changes in rough priority order:

• Get a Flask and Stir place to improve my starters
  • Get a better thermometer, I don't trust this one and can't calibrate it.
  • Move up to a bigger boil kettle or keggle with an outlet valve.
  • Buy hops in bulk
  • Get a Malt Mill so I can buy base malt in bulk
  • Change over to a 50' immersion chiller and perhaps hook it up to our old one that would sit in an ice bath to pre-chill the water.
  • Brew stand w/ 2 burners.

I have a few inputs for your process. Why put only a quart or two into the MLT, heat up all your mash water and put it in there 3-4° above what you want you strike water to be and wait for it to cool down, thus preheating your MLT at the same time.

If you are using a standard plasitc bottling bucket your going to lose a lot of temp over the course of 30-50 minutes while sparging, you want to make sure your sparge water temp remains consistent (which is why I just batch sparge)

Boil water. Put stuff in it. Hope for the best. :p

1. Decide what I want to drink that's too weird to be at the store.
2. Bug HBT about it.
3. Clean gear.
4. Refer to HBT suggestions. Carefully consider sage advice. Use crappy fruit flavor from a bottle anyway. Do it right the next time, with real berries.
5. Make a starter in an empty Jager bottle using DME and/or turbinado brown sugar. This is done usually at least 24 hours prior to brewing.
6. Hope LBS and/or grocery store has whatever ingredients I think I need.
7. Get what they really have.
8. Put large pot of water on and the grain filled sock goes in right then.
9. Mess with sock until wort water is 150-170F. Whichever I think I remember is right that day.
10. Take sock out. Start putting ingredients in.
11. See other household ingredients that look good. Put 'em in.
12. Remember I need ice for the sink to cool the wort. Swear to get a chiller.
13. Buy ice.
14. Boil wort for an hour.
15. This is where add hops would be but, sometimes yes, sometimes no.
16. Cool wort to 70ish in sink full of ice.
17. Transfer to Ale Pail Primary.
18. Ooooo, I bet his would be good in beer.
19. Gravity reading.
20. Clean gear.
21. Wait.

22. Rack to Better Bottle secondary and take gravity reading.
23. Clean gear.
24. Wait.

25. Take gravity. Decide it's ready.
26. Add beer and primer to bottling bucket.
27. Bottle.
28. Clean bottles that I find dirty and don't know why or what voodoo ritual was preformed in them to get them this way.
29. Clean gear.
30. Find gear I only thought I cleaned. Clean it later.
31. Wait.

32. Drink one.
33. Wait.

34. :drunk:

Awesome Zul'jin....I was giggling a bunch through that...

Mine:
  1. Sit down to decide what I will brew this week....look at current beers in pipeline, choose something that *isn't* them...I'm only on batch 8, so I have lots of "oooh, gotta make that"s built up just from lurking here
  2. Find an example recipe of what I wanna brew...
  3. Plug it into beersmith, decide I don't like this or that about it, and change it
  4. buy ingredients on the way home from work one day, (pick wife up in St. Paul, we carpool, Northern Brewer is 0.7 miles from her work)
  5. That weekend, get up around 9, get to brewing around 1
  6. Drag all the equipment up from the basement (2 ale pails with crap in them, starsan, etc)
  7. Rinse out my BK (keggle, just used it for the 1st time last weekend, having a ball valve is sweeeeeeeeeeet)
  8. measure water into aluminum turkey fryer pot, (partial mash is the farthest I've got so far, this weekend is an AG Orfy's Mild clone, BIAB style)
  9. dump grain in bag, put bag in now heated turkey fryer pot
  10. wrap pot in sleeping bag, let sit 1 hr
  11. while minimashing, heat strike water in BK
  12. dunk grain in BK strike water, stir around, let sit 10 min
  13. take out grain, burn hands, swear, squeeze bag anyway while crying softly, toss grain into "yard waste" bin
  14. dump mash water into strike water, bring to a boil
  15. drop "sparky's hop bag" onto kettle, start throwing hops into bag
  16. Drop SS washers or brass fittings into hop bag to weigh it down in boil
  17. finish boil, pull hop bag, dump hops into "yard waste bin"
  18. (realize next week that I threw out the SS washers with the hop matter AGAIN)
  19. drop in IC, hook up hose, hit 75 degrees in around 8-9 minutes
  20. transfer to carboy with hose with T in it as a cross between the "cheap and easy aeration gadget" and "flyguy's autosiphon"
  21. pitch yeast, relax
  22. Forget about 1000 steps in this stupid writeup.

Equipment - All Grain
-2x 5Galon Drink coolers For mash tun and HLT (DIY)
-7 1/2 gal SS Electric Kettle with spigot. (DIY)
-Immersion cooler (DIY)

-Heat strike water in boil kettle.
-Wile water is heating crush grain bill.
-Add water to mash tun and dough in.
-Drink beer for the next hour.
-Heat water for sparge in boil kettle and add to HLT.
-Fly sparge , collecting wert in boil kettle & monitor flow.
-Boil the wert and add hops.
-During boil clean and sanitize everything.
-Cool wert put in fermentor, steal a sample for testing & add yeast
-Ferment for 3 weeks to 1 month, test, prime and put in keg or bottles.
-Wait.
-Drink.

I buy ingredients in bulk. I generally measure out 5 or so recipes at once - including hops. Hops in freezer,grain in bags in a storage container.

Brew day:
-start strike water - all of it - I mostly BIAB now.
-while that's heating, measure out my salts (I should really do this for multiple recipes at the same time as well) and crush my grains.
-Dough in, stir, start RIMS recirculation.
-Watch TV and/or play pool. I brew electric in my basement kitchen.
-Raise RIMS to mash out.
-Pull out bag, drain it a bit, put it in a SS pot I have to drain a bit more.
-Start boil.
-Add the wort that has drained from the bag.
-Hops additions, etc.
-sanitize any post boil stuff.
-At knockout,whirlpool and let sit for 10minutes.
-Drain 1/2 gallon to a small HDPE jug I have. Throw this in freezer or bucket of coolwater.
-Drain rest of hot wort to my cube (no-chill). Put cube in closet.
-Clean stuff.
-pitch yeast into the 1/2 gallon of now cooled wort.

A day or so later:
-Rack wort from cube into bucket. I use an aeration tip on my hose.
-Pitch the entire 1/2 gallon "starter"
-Put in my fermentation chamber.

I generally do not secondary. I dry hop in primary (after fermentation is complete). I generally bottle/keg about 1 month after brew day.

Latest posts

Back