Copper good to 65 Celsius - Immersion Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay-Brew

Reaction score
Trying to find 50 ft. copper tubing to make another immersion chiller. The description of some that I found for a reasonable price has the description below. I am wondering about the up to 65C part. Is this a concern going into boiling wort for 10-15 minutes to sanitize and then however long to take it down to pitching temperature? Makes me wonder about the copper I used for my first chiller, which I haven't had any problems with.

"Aquadynamic 1/2 in. x 50 ft. Soft Copper Type Refrigeration Tube is used for refrigeration, air conditioning, and general purpose applications. The durable tube is wound into a convenient 50 ft. coil

Soft type refrigeration copper construction
For temperatures up to 65°C
50 ft. coil for compact handling"

I cant see how, copper doesnt anneal to 400c. It will form some oxides around 200C on the surface, but boiling water is nowhere close. Im 95% sure it will be fine.

I wiuld assume they are referencing the internal temp for liquids under pressure insude the line.

Such as using it for a water line to an ice maker where there will be pressure build up from on/off.

You should be fine.

I wiuld assume they are referencing the internal temp for liquids under pressure insude the line.

Such as using it for a water line to an ice maker where there will be pressure build up from on/off.

You should be fine.

It's refrigeration tubing. The temp limit is because of the high refrigerant pressure.

Thanks folks! I thought it might have something to do with being under pressure.... Worthwhile checking just to be sure. Thanks again. Will use it then.

Back