Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Which chiller liquid?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 02:48 AM   #1
Yorg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Which chiller liquid?

I bought a 150l chest freezer to contain liquid, which I'll use through my Chiller.
I will pre-chill with tap water, but then switch to the chest freezer, using a pond pump to move the liquid through the chiller.
The night before a brew, I will turn on the freezer on and cool the liquid to around 0C - I reckon the pond pump could probably cope with that.
The aim is to get quickly and easily to lager pitching temps.

Question: What should the liquid be, assuming I have a reliable seperation of the wort and coolant paths? Water, glycol, oil

(I am thinking that thermal mass, given finite volume, would give me the maximum cooling potential.)

??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2009, 03:01 AM   #2
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What about antifreeze? Then you can crank that freezer down as far as it will go. Of course make sure all connections are FAR away from your beer so there is no chance of any getting in there.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 04-30-2009, 03:12 AM   #3
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
What about antifreeze? Then you can crank that freezer down as far as it will go. Of course make sure all connections are FAR away from your beer so there is no chance of any getting in there.
I agree. This is probably the most efficient. Also, there is stuff on the market that is not lethal. Finally, we use to have to add glycol to some closed systems where I use to work. There was a cheapo dye that we put in it and if it ever leaked, it was easy to spot. I'm sure someone on here knows what it is. You could use brine, it would stand a little lower temp and if it leaked into your beer, somehow, you could just add more lime and say it is Miller Chill! Luck - Dwain

Old 04-30-2009, 04:37 AM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 933 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I think you'd be better off using it to make a large volume of ice. Fashion yourself a large ice tray to make like 50 pounds of ice at a time, add water and pump that. It's a way to ensure no chemicals near your brew. You can use propylene glycol to lower the freezing point, but it's not cheap. It's less toxic than ethylene glycol though.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Last edited by Bobby_M; 04-30-2009 at 04:41 AM.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
rcm_rx7
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

They do make a less toxic automotive antifreeze. You can pick it up at any auto parts store. As far as the dye goes, they also make UV dye for the antifreeze. Of course you would have to hit the wort with UV light to see if the dye leaked. No clue if that would work or not, might take some testing. As long as the connections are away from the wort I don't see any reason not to use antifreeze.

SIERRA Antifreeze Home Page These guys make the antifreeze I referred to.

Fermentation Chamber Project

Old 04-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
kornbread
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

How about RV antifreeze? It's non-toxic. We use it every year to winterize our camper.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
HarvInSTL

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/temperature-controlled-fermentation-81596/

/thread

Secondary: 9/9/9/-My version, Carbernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Raspberry Melomel

On deck: Tripel, 5 day IPA Squared, White Russian Imperial Stout

Live in Saint Louis, MO? Then check out www.stlbrews.org and www.garagebrewers.com

Old 04-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 933 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If you use an antifreeze, you'd be better off dropping the temp well below 0C. If you're just going down to 0, it would be better to make ice because it will have more cooling power (highly technical term) than a liquid at 0C. Is the fear about overchilling the pump impeller? I wonder how cold you can go before it's a problem.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Last edited by Bobby_M; 04-30-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #9
chris1979
Recipes 

why not just a salt water solution. would be safe to drink if you came up with a leak.

Saltwater has a much lower freezing point (the freezing point is the temperature where something freezes) than freshwater does. And the more salt there is in it, the lower the freezing point gets. So in order to know the exact temperature that it’s going to freeze, you have to know just how salty it is. For saltwater that’s as saturated as it can possibly get (i.e. there’s no way to dissolve any more salt in it no matter how hard you tried), the freezing point is -21.1 degrees Celsius. This is when the saltwater is 23.3% salt (by weight).

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 8

saltwater is highly corrosive