Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > cheaper to buy immersion chiller than to build?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 04:19 AM   #31
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Pictures! We can't have no stinkin' pictures! What of our customers who haven't yet upgraded to them fancy new 28.8 modems?

My LHBS's site isn't much prettier. Never ordered online from them, don't know that I would.

http://www.beerbrew.com/

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2006, 02:07 PM   #32
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Played hooky from work yesterday and went by our brand new Atwoods. It's like a farming store but they have everything. Anyway, as I was walking the isles, I saw a 20 foot roll of 3/8 ID copper tubing for 19.95. Did I jump on that, HELL YES! Also found 10 feet of 3/8 clear plastic hose for 2.28. Jumped on that as well. I just now have to rig up some way of hooking that 3/8 hose to my kitchen tap. One thing that did concern me was the plastic hose has a heat rating of 175F. Is that too low for chilling wort? I figure I could adjust the flow so that the water coming out is not steaming hot. OR bend the copper in a way so that the exit line dumps directly into the sink. But now this problem, just how in the hell do you bend a copper line so that you have no kinks? I started messing with it yesterday and got the majority of it in the brew pot, but the in and out lines, I couldn't bend them 90 degrees with kinking up the lines. Any ideas???

Old 10-04-2006, 02:09 PM   #33
trinitone

Recipes 

Somebody stop me if this is total BS, but my understanding is that if you fill the pipe with sand, you can bend it and it won't kink.

Secondary 2: Monk's Tripel...
Bottled: Dark Star Brown Ale, Watership Stout, Yet to be named cider

Well... a person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all.

This kind of an area is the best place for survival because you do have good, basically intelligent, hard working, decent people and they're all armed to the teeth... and that's my kind of people.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #34
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Got to be a better method that than, plus, I got no sand.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:58 PM   #35
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1067 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 28

There is a device made specifically for bending tubing without kinking. It's a relatively snug fitting spring coil that you slide over the tubing in the location where you want to bend. Then you bend the tube and slide the spring off. An auto parts store would have them because they're used to custom-bend brake and fuel lines. Of course, you'll need a big one for the 1/2 OD stuff.

In a pinch, try carefully bending it over a radius like a soup can rather than making a super-tight 90.

BTW, your output water will be very hot to the touch, but it won't be too much over 180. Even if it is, it will only be so for a short time so your vinyl tubing will be fine. You did pick up some hose clamps right? It gets mighty soft and will definitely leak or fall off without the clamps.

Bobby

Old 10-04-2006, 03:26 PM   #36
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, I got HOSE CLAMPS out the yeng yang. I bent it the best I could so I now need advice as to how to hook it up and what would YOU do? One piece, the top part, sticks out past the brewing pot, the other, goes straight up along the pot but I couldn't get it to bend over the pot. So, which line would you use for the in and which for the out? I plan on using two hose clamps on the line that comes up above the wort but doesn't get over the pot, that is the line that starts at the bottom. I know the most important thing is that no water can drip back into the wort, hence the need for two clamps, as an insurance measure. I kind of think to have the cold in start at the bottom and work its way up to the top. Or should I do it the other way around?

Old 10-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #37
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
Got to be a better method that than, plus, I got no sand.

I bent my 1/2" around my argon bottle, nice and hard and pretty much the perfect size. It is still pretty hard to bend, I had a nice sweat going.

the hardware store shoud have a sink to garden hose adapter you can use, then get a garden hose fitting for your tubing.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:26 PM   #38
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I do web design as a side source of income and a creative outlet. I may need to parlay my abilities into getting free equipment...er uh, making some HBS sites more appealing.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:33 PM   #39
Truble

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

My LHBS also has a site that could use some work. I have seen then filling the online orders, though, and they are pretty good guys. http://www.home-brew.com

Hey 'Bird-you use the one in west boylston? That is near my in-laws (Sterling)..I just give them a list at Christmas time.

Primary: Octoberfest
mini 1G Primary: nichts
Secondary #1: #97 Pale Ale
Secondary #2 nichts
Bottled/Conditioning: nichts

Fully ConditionedDrinking: nichts
All Gone!:
Everything

Old 10-04-2006, 04:44 PM   #40
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Nah, that's the other end of the state for me. I go out to Rensselaer, NY, it's a little more than an hour west of me. There's another place in Northampton that I've been to once (http://www.beer-winemaking.com/), I just like the place in NY a little better. Just a nice little shop, the guys who work there are real friendly (I forgot to have them ring up a bung plug for me, they told me to just take it on the house). I also know that they have pretty much everything I could need.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply