Cereal Killer Barley Crusher - What is optimal gap setting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwing7486

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I juts invested in my first barley crusher, The Cereal Killer. Question I have is what is the optimum gap setting to achieve a high efficiency without crushing the husks too much and getting a stuck mash? the most I have read on here is people seem to use a credit card and adjust the rollers to that. I am looking at getting a set of feeler gauges to set my gap accordingly. Any feedback would be much appreciated!!

I use a similar 2 roller type mill. I set my gap with an amazon gift card. Not sure where that will get you with a feeler gauge. This setting gives me a super tight crush without pulverizing the grain to dust.

I use a similar 2 roller type mill. I set my gap with an amazon gift card. Not sure where that will get you with a feeler gauge. This setting gives me a super tight crush without pulverizing the grain to dust.

What type of efficiency do you get with that gap? (assuming you have a good mash pH)

I average 80%. Also with the finer crush you do want to keep the PH down. I try to keep it around 5.4-5.5. A couple cc's of lactic acid or a few ounces of acid malt with D city water does the trick.

Are you going to be using a traditional MLT setup or BIAB?

If traditional, I think the default gap is .039".

I do BIAB and have my Monster mill set at .030". My efficiency is 82-83% at that setting, which results in a fine crush, but not excessive flour.

Are you going to be using a traditional MLT setup or BIAB?

If traditional, I think the default gap is .039".

I do BIAB and have my Monster mill set at .030". My efficiency is 82-83% at that setting, which results in a fine crush, but not excessive flour.

I will be doing a traditional setup. I am thinking for my first brew with it Sunday I am going to set it at 0.035" and see what my efficiency is and go from there.

Hey Guys,

I juts invested in my first barley crusher, The Cereal Killer. Question I have is what is the optimum gap setting to achieve a high efficiency without crushing the husks too much and getting a stuck mash? the most I have read on here is people seem to use a credit card and adjust the rollers to that. I am looking at getting a set of feeler gauges to set my gap accordingly. Any feedback would be much appreciated!!

I have a three roller Monster Mill. The manufacturer suggests .039 as a starting point. I've adjusted to .041 after my first few crushes and have been very satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You may also want to condition you grain prior to crushing, especially if you go with a finer crush. I've had good success in doing so with my Cereal Killer.

How do you condition you mill prior to first use?

Not the mill, the grain. do a search for 'Grain conditioning' and you'll see.

You can mill finer, which results in better efficiency. The lauter/sparge works better, because the husks remain more intact. So, a combination of the two.

You can mill finer, which results in better efficiency. The lauter/sparge works better, because the husks remain more intact. So, a combination of the two.

Understood. I am probably for this first run set my roller gap using a credit card and then hydrate the grain prior to crushing. thanks for the input gents.

Back