Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Bulkhead fittings from Home Depot/ Lowes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2006, 06:15 AM   #1
Lounge Lizard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bulkhead fittings from Home Depot/ Lowes?

Can you get the parts at Lowes/Home Depot to make up bulkhead fittings like this, that would work in Sanke kegs?

Or is this item something you can only get from a homebrew outfit?

Thanks...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I can't see the pic above (probably fartsmiltered here at work), but I know that you can acquire the parts at HD/Lowes. The only thing is it's much easier to find brass/copper parts than stainless, but that never bothered me.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:52 PM   #3
Brewiz

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I couldn't find them at the Lowes or HD in my area but I found them in McMaster Carr catalog..http://www.mcmaster.com/ I went with 2 of these for my brew kettle and mash tun : http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=19806

they have worked great so far..

Old 03-20-2006, 03:36 PM   #4
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I too also just looked at Home Depot and a local hardware store and could not find the particular part or any thing similar.

Gary

Old 03-20-2006, 05:05 PM   #5
whitescout
Recipes 

I haven't loked yet, but maybe tractor supply? I know that they carry bulkhead fittings, as we use them at work, or maybe The Parker store??? They both have websites. HTH, Jeff

Primary : Jefe's hefe 2
Primary : I'ma IPA 2
Secondary : Empty
Secondary : Scouting for Barleywine
Conditioning : Carmello Vanilla Ale
Bottled and Drinking : Poughkeepsie Porter
Kegged : Oatmeal Stout
I'ma IPA 1
Topeka Steam
Jefe's Jefe 1

Old 03-20-2006, 11:33 PM   #6
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info, everyone!

It looks like this particular fitting can't be bought locally. Or if it can be, it wouldn't be worth the gas driving around looking. Lots of places have them online.

It's just that at 15 dollars a pop, I was hoping Home Depot would have them for less. I'm sure they have ball valves, hose barbs, etc....

Old 03-21-2006, 12:29 AM   #7
MrSaLTy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

You may be getting slightly confused as what you have pictured is not actually one fitting but actually 3. The stainless portion there in the pic you have is actually a stainless nipple screwed into a straight connector with a washer over the end. Also the one in the pic is for a cooler bulkhead from zymico. The one for a keg or a brewpot only has one o-ring. you can find all the parts locally except MAYBE the locknut ( the brass part in the pic) It has a grove that is machined into one side of it. I don't know if those are available or not. Lots of brew suppliers carry the zymico kits though.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:56 AM   #8
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaLTy
You may be getting slightly confused as what you have pictured is not actually one fitting but actually 3. The stainless portion there in the pic you have is actually a stainless nipple screwed into a straight connector with a washer over the end. Also the one in the pic is for a cooler bulkhead from zymico. The one for a keg or a brewpot only has one o-ring. you can find all the parts locally except MAYBE the locknut ( the brass part in the pic) It has a grove that is machined into one side of it. I don't know if those are available or not. Lots of brew suppliers carry the zymico kits though.
Yeah, I did grab the wrong pic. The one for a sanke looks similar, though.

Weldless Bulkhead. This is just the bulkhead fitting for the Sanke kegs, in case you already have the ball valve.
#7551Weld-B-Gone Bulkhead Fitt
$15.00
EACH

Ah, so this is only a nipple with a straight connector. That makes sense. Thanks for the info. Is the metal washer looking thing in this pic part of the straight connector?

Old 03-21-2006, 02:44 AM   #9
MrSaLTy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Nope, its just a regular washer stuck on there.... if you held it with the nipple end down, it would just fall off. Think of it like this... the nipple is a pipe with threads on the outside and the connector is a pipe with threads on the inside. The nipple threads into the connector.... half in and half out. and the washer fits over the nipple and butts up against the connector. The nipple goes through the hole in your keg and the washer fits snug against the inside with the connector on the inside of the keg. Then the o ring goes on the outside of the keg and the lock nut holdit together. Then you can put a ballvalve on the end of the nipple that is still sticking out.

Old 03-21-2006, 03:02 AM   #10
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaLTy
Nope, its just a regular washer stuck on there.... if you held it with the nipple end down, it would just fall off. Think of it like this... the nipple is a pipe with threads on the outside and the connector is a pipe with threads on the inside. The nipple threads into the connector.... half in and half out. and the washer fits over the nipple and butts up against the connector. The nipple goes through the hole in your keg and the washer fits snug against the inside with the connector on the inside of the keg. Then the o ring goes on the outside of the keg and the lock nut holdit together. Then you can put a ballvalve on the end of the nipple that is still sticking out.

Wow... thanks again. I bet I could put those together for less than the asking price of 15 dollars. Should Locktite be used when threading the two together? Or maybe put some flux on to the threads before threading together and then hit it with some solder?

Quick Reply