Biggest brewing mess or the easiest way to clean the floor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
After my brew day yesterday I was cleaning all of the equipment in the sink. I was rinsing my chiller when I heard a Shhhhhh sound of running water. I checked to make sure that the faucet was off, but the sound was still there. Then the sound got louder until...pop! Then the sound of splashing water. After a second or two, water was running out of the cabinet under the sink. Hot water flowed across the kitchen floor, covering it. Quickly got the water shut off and a bunch of towels on the floor. At least the wort that I spilled on the floor from the boilover got cleaned up. :D

The plastic hose connecting the pipes to the faucet came apart somehow. Home Deopt was closed list night when it happened, so it was fixed temporarily with a hose clamp.

Deja vu, sir - that's what your story caused me. A year or so after we bought our current home, late Sunday of Independence Day weekend, the same thing happened to us. No "shushing," but a sudden, growing puddle in front of the sink.

We had three problems. One, it was a Sunday night, so resources were fairly limited. Two, the valves under the sink were corroded and didn't work. Three, we did not know where the water main valve was located. We live in the country, and the former owner told is it was "somewhere in the front yard, easy to find." Not so much. At 1030p, we were out there with flashlights, joined by a guy from our water co-op, trying to find the damn valve, while my wife was mopping, mopping, mopping.

When all is said and done, it was a modest problem. And like you, we had a VERY shiny floor that night!

Back