Better Grain Removal Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adeering

Reaction score
So last February I switched from a single pot BIAB setup to a partially automatic Brutus 2.0 setup I designed and built (was a deployment gift to myself :D ). For the most part I love my setup, have a few tweaks i want to make, but it works great and brews 5 gallon batches fine and made my first 10 gallon batch which worked great.

The problem comes when I have to clean out the mash tun. Its a pain in the ass and a messy time consuming process right now. So I'm trying to think of ways to quickly and easily remove all the grain from the mash tun. I do have a couple ideas but looking for some input and suggestions before I move forward with something

1. Easiest solution and probably cheapest, get a big bag like from my BIAB days and use that as a secondary filterish and just lift the grains out. The problem I have with this, is cleaning those bags can take forever and be just as much of a pain. However, I do have pump clogging issues (using the small 12v dv pumps) and this would help as well

2. Lately Ive seen the custom hop strainers from THIS thread and some people have used them as a grain basket. Again would help with pump clogging and allow for simple lift removal. Easier to clean as i can flip upside down and spray with a hose, but more expensive

Those are the two ideas im thinking right now. Any other ideas or suggestions?

I do like the idea of the shop vac attachment, I had a small wet vac but it didnt do well with the wet grain which is why I ended up just scooping it all out and then cleaning the inside. I still thinking a second screen will help to keep my pump from clogging.

Also i would love to do a tippy dump, but Im moving to an apartment and not living in my house anymore (military makes me move a lot) so dont have the space for a dedicated stand anymore.

Im thinking Im gonna go with a custom screen made like the hop screens

I as well use the BIAB bag along with a false bottom in a keg MLT for easy grain removal plus the secondary screen to keep grain out of my 12v pumps. I have a narrow opening on my MLT so I generally scoop/vacuum most of it out then just pull the rest out with the bag and dump it. I don't find cleaning the bag that bad. I usually turn it inside out and drape it over a couple of buckets or something similar and hit it with the hose.

Back