Attn Engineers: Plate Chiller Parallel or Perpendicular Flow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biertourist

Reaction score
Can any mechanical engineer types (or other engineer types) explain why most plate chillers are setup with parallel flow? (Cold service water comes in say top left side of the plate chiller and exits bottom right side while the hot wort comes in bottom left side and exits top right side.)

Does running the cold service water parallel to the wort flow result in better heat transfer than running parallel?

Why do many plate chillers have larger diameter connections for the water side than the wort side?

Thanks,
Adam

Parallel flow is the ONLY option in a plate chiller.

Cold water flows into the and flows parallel BUT in the opposite direction as the flow of wort.
The idea is to get as much surface area in contact with the hot wort to transfer heat to the cold water. The water goes in and flows back and forth through the entire chiller and exits opposite side on the opposite end. It could exit on the same side as it enters, but think of it as ONE more chance for heat to be transferred to the water.

The reason that the water connections are bigger is because the standard water connection is for a garden hose adapter, while most of us use 1/2" connections for our wort to pump to chiller connections.

Sorry, I think I was using the wrong terminology. What I meant is that plate chillers are usually setup to run with the flow in the opposite direction -Why don't they run in the same direction?

Adam

I think the correct answer is that it doesn't matter for heat transfer. The and answer to the diameter issue, I assume, is that's how it works best with the most common way people use it - common hose diameters as an example. Ideally you would flow the most of the wort and cooling water though the chiller as practically possible.

I think the correct answer is that it doesn't matter.

Actually it does matter, a lot.

Try running your cooling liquid and wort in the same direction, it'll take forever.

With them flowing against each other your are constantly introducing the coldest liquid with the hottest wort resulting in better efficiency.

The rate of heat transfer is directly proportional to the temp difference between the wort and the water.

So, to get the best cooling, you want the coldest water impacting the coldest wort and you want the relatively warmer water taking on the hot wort. If you did it the other direction, then the water would get warmed by the hottest wort immediately. They would flow down the path together and the warmish water wouldn't do much more cooling.

wouldnt temp in/out of wort and water be the same regardless? obviously the highest delta t results in the most heat transfer. maybe i misunderstood the question.

Forgetting about arguments over possible efficiency set it up so that the coolant water input is at the wort output.

This way the coolest coolant is the last to cool the coolest wort.

Edit: saying the same as Bill

Demon is correct - counterflow is the most efficient.

Bill's line of thinking has a flaw - you can't just take into account inlet conditions.

In heat transfer we have this notion of "log mean temperature difference" - essentially the log average of the temp difference across the entire transfer surface.

long story short - hottest wort should touch coldest water.

Most plate chillers are set up for counter current flow (flowing in opposite directions) because it give you a higher Average temperature difference (LMTD). The difference in temperature is what is the driving factor for heat transfer. If you were to set it up cocurrent you would have great transfer at the very beginning of the ex changer but then it would drop significantly yielding you a much lower average LMTD reducing the over all efficiency.

Its also pretty readily apparent.

I hooked up my CFC backwards so they were flowing in the same direction on accident once and the wort was coming out at 80-85 instead of the 70 it normally comes out at, it took me a few seconds to figure out what was going on.

I think the best way to see this is through the graph and a small example.

For the graph:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/arithmetic-logarithmic-mean-temperature-d_436.html

Just looking at the graph, notice how the counter flow will continuously cool the wort because it is exposed to colder and colder water as it flows through. Essentially, if the heat exchanger were infinitely long (or have an infinite surface) the wort would reach the temperature of the inlet water.

Now compare it to parallel flow: if there were infinite surface or infinitely long, the coolest the wort would get would be somewhere between the water inlet temp and the wort inlet temp. The wort could never get as cold as cold as the inlet water temp because it is exposed to warmer and warmer water as it flows along and less and less transfer occurs. Hence it lands somewhere in between.

Now if we want to compare them using the log mean temperature difference (LMTD) using the generalized form which should be just fine for an example:

LMTD=
dT1-dT2
ln(dT1/dT2)

where dT1 is the difference between the two inlets/outlets on one side, and dT2 is the difference of inlets/oulets of the other side. Assuming water comes in at 10 C and wort at 100 C, and the exiting wort is at 20 C (usually the conditions I have) and leaving the water's outlet temperature is unknown but defined as A for the counterflow and B for parallel and without making any assumptions this gives:

For counterflow:
(10-20)-(A-100)
ln(10-20/1-100)
=
90-A
ln(-10/A-100)

For parallel:
(100-10)-(20-B)
ln(100-10/20-A)
=
70-B
ln(90/20-B)

so we can see right off the bat that the numerator is larger in the counterflow exchanger. If we look at the ln's we see that the smallest value will be generated by the counterflow exchanger as well. This means, twice over, that the counterflow will have a larger LMTD. But what about the rest of the heat transfer equation? Well q=h*pi*D*L*lmtd, and we can say that since it is wort and water in both cases h will not change, and if we are going to compare exchangers I would say we leave D and L the same as well. Of course there is a way to adjust D and L until you have the same result as counterflow, but that is both expensive and hard on your equipment (hottest fluid meeting coldest fluid continuously creates harsh thermal expansions and contractions on the metals).

So to try and say this simply, parallel introduces the wort to colder and colder water the further it travels. Parallel introduces the wort to cold water right away but then the same water for the rest of the trip which gets warmer and warmer.

Just to return to the graphs and address the other point where they mention that the whole trip needs to be taken into account, let's use enthalpy and integration (somewhat loosely). The total heat transfer will be equal to the sum of the enthalpy across all points. The enthalpy at any point will (considering it's the same fluids, lengths, and so on and on) let's say be the temperature difference. That means the total transfer is the integral of the wort minus the integral of the water. Now we can go back to simple terms. It's the surface area between the lines on the graph. The surface will be large at first with the parallel flow, and continuously get smaller quite rapidly. The counterflow will be smaller at first but not for long as it will be larger than the parallel who is shrinking more rapidly. Then the counterflow will have a greater surface. This only works as an analysis if the exchanger is long enough to allow this to happen. If it is ridiculously short (you won't get to fermenting temperature if it is), then yes parallel would be better but both would be useless for brewing or anything else that requires more than a couple degrees of cooling/heating. So counterflow will be more efficient graphically - as long as we stay within reason - as well.

I hope this helps, cheers.

If we could force all politicians to argue all bills through HBT, we could quickly solve all the world's problems.

HBT: People coming together to solve problems since..... (I don't know when)

:)

The world needs more home brewers.
(Thanks folks!)

Adam

If we could force all politicians to argue all bills through HBT, we could quickly solve all the world's problems.

(Thanks folks!)

Adam

It's just because we're all drunk, all of the time.

Wow, I'm surprised that in this day there are still very different opinions on the correct way to plumb a counter-flow chiller. It's called counter-flow for a reason...

This isn't just a one-time heat transfer analysis (ie maximum hot vs maximum cold). We are running the fluids along side each other for the entire interaction. Since we want a cold wort at the end of the heat exchanger, we want to see the coldest coolant inflow to see our wort outflow. In other words, we want to see them flowing opposite (counter) to each other.

You are half correct.... You want the coldest cooling liquid (inflow) hitting the coldest (outflow) wort.
With them flowing against each other your are constantly introducing the coldest liquid with the hottest wort resulting in better efficiency.

Correct:
The rate of heat transfer is directly proportional to the temp difference between the wort and the water.

So, to get the best cooling, you want the coldest water impacting the coldest wort and you want the relatively warmer water taking on the hot wort. If you did it the other direction, then the water would get warmed by the hottest wort immediately. They would flow down the path together and the warmish water wouldn't do much more cooling.

Correct:
Forgetting about arguments over possible efficiency set it up so that the coolant water input is at the wort output.

This way the coolest coolant is the last to cool the coolest wort.

Edit: saying the same as Bill

Incorrect:
long story short - hottest wort should touch coldest water.

Correct:
Rosenhops said:
I think the best way to see this is through the graph and a small example.

For the graph:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/arithmetic-logarithmic-mean-temperature-d_436.html

I thought this was a sealed argument??

(Thanks folks!)

Adam

Hell no. If there are politicians to be here I demand that their corporate sponsors be listed in their signatures. And I have no patience for posts that long.

So many misconceptions here...

You run opposite directions so the coldest water is touching the COLDEST wort. If they ran the same direction, the cold water would touch boiling wort, both would even out around 150 and stop.

Back