Anyone using sanitary diaphragm valves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aangel

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone's using these. I'm looking at replacing my 3-piece ball valves with them to cut down on cleaning and tape threading time.

So is there anyone using these? What are your experiences with them?

Bumping - websites sell 'em. Anyone use 'em? Come out come out, diaphragm valve users!

I can find 'em for $30-40 used on bay or about $60 new. I think brewershardware also sells them but for $80. I'm debating between diaphragm valves and those quick-clean triclamp ball valves ($40 on brewershardware).

My end game is a fully CIP brewing apparatus, and I'm trying to inch my way there by convincing SWMBO of the merit in doing away with our regular ball valves and threaded fittings.

I can find 'em for $30-40 used on bay or about $60 new. I think brewershardware also sells them but for $80. I'm debating between diaphragm valves and those quick-clean triclamp ball valves ($40 on brewershardware).

My end game is a fully CIP brewing apparatus, and I'm trying to inch my way there by convincing SWMBO of the merit in doing away with our regular ball valves and threaded fittings.

Those Tri Clover quick clean ball valves are pretty sweet and easy to take apart and clean. They are still a ball valve though, so they will trap some liquid behind the ball.

Another option might be checking out Butterfly Valves. They are more sanitary than a ball valve by not trapping any liquid, but also cheaper than diaphragm valves. Diaphragm valves are also very big compared to other valves. It also depends where you are putting the valves on your system. If they are used on the hot side, ball valves are fine. Butterfly valves might be a nice option on your fermentor or anything on the cold side.

Here are some Butterfly Valves from Brewers Hardware:
https://www.brewershardware.com/Tri-Clover-Butterfly-Valves/

They're pretty big and heavy. The main thing they are good for is to control flow. I recommend butterfly valves anywhere else you just need on/off for ease of cleaning and CIP capability.

I keep getting mixed messages about butterfly valves. Some say they're CIP/sanitary, and some say they're not.

I'm not sure where you keep getting mixed messages from, but they've been recommended to you twice in this thread. They are the standard in any brewery. Like I already stated, for brewing purposes the only benefit a diaphragm valve has is the ability to better control flow...so really they are only useful if you are throttling the output on a single phase centrifugal pump. Commercial breweries use VFD's on their pumps so you won't find diaphragm valves used much.

I'm not trying to be rude, was really just hoping to get an answer from someone who has actually used both types. Anyway my source of mixed messaging regarding butterfly valves: Holland MFG What's funny is that Holland themselves say that while Butterfly valves are not hygienic/cip capable, they're considered good enough for lots of food industry applications.

I also gave a friend of mine a shout (about to graduate from Olds College Brewing program) and this was his response to questions about valves & sanitation:

"Butterfly valves are great, but don't offer much in the line of fine control over flow. Diaphragm valves would be ideal but are rather expensive. Also on hot side ball valves are fine as they self sterilize from heat during brewing and a caustic/acid cycle should displace most debris."

Back